ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
I was at a job today and noticed on some the breakers a metal bracket with a set screw in it over the switch on the breaker so that no one would shut that breaker off. They even took off the common tie on the main to put these brackets on is the breaker still able to trip?

G
Locking a breaker in the energized position does not affect it's ability to open the circuit. Very common (and legal, BTW) practice for mission critical and some life safety equipment.

L
You indicate "they took off the common tie." If this is a multi-pole breaker taking off the common tie does in fact violate NEC rules. That means that 1 of the poles can trip leaving the other pole(s) live. No a good situation.

D
We have a lot of energy conscious people here where I work. Prior to installing these clips on single pole breakers feeding emergency lighting and exit signs. We would frequently fail our monthly inspections due to batteries having been discharged without adequate time to recharge.

They are legal and at times provide a simple solution to a problem.

I
Lear

You indicate "they took off the common tie." If this is a multi-pole breaker taking off the common tie does in fact violate NEC rules. That means that 1 of the poles can trip leaving the other pole(s) live. No a good situation.

While I agree taking the factory installed handle is a violation I do not agree with the rest of your statement.

A "Common Trip Breaker" will trip all poles on a short or overload regardless of the handles. A "Common trip Breaker" has an internal mechanism to make sure of that.

The only thing that handle ties ever guarantee is the opening or closing of all poles when switched by hand.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard