ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#59004 11/24/05 10:37 AM
H
I'm doing some charity work for our church. Their stage/pulpit area has some lighting issues. Unfortunately I don't have any experience here so would appreciate any input.
It's an elevated area (three steps up)approx 40' wide and 20' deep with a 16' ceiling height. The area is currently lit with 4 track strips all with spots(now obsolete), 4 small can lights and there is a projection screen just forward of center.
The area where they are asking for higher footcandle levels is 8-10' wide and in a slight semi-circle that follows the stair line. This will cover the pulpits, choir area (center stairs) and the praise band.
Although it's a bit tricky to work in, there is a 24" space above the ceiling.
If I can figure out how to do it I will submit a picture later.

#59005 11/24/05 02:14 PM
Administrator
posted for Helectric:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#59006 11/24/05 02:47 PM
J
what kind of budget? Are they looking for a cheap solution using conventional lighting? Or are you considering professional stage lighting?

If your looking for the most bang for the buck, I would consider another track with 150 watt Par38. Bring a selection of wide flood, narrow flood, wide spot & narrow spot to get the right beam spread for the specific areas. Also consider if you want 2 circuit track so you can highlight different things at different times. Don't forget to think about controls.

My church was considering upgrading to professional stage lighting with professionial dimming control. I was involved only from the install stand point. I defered to the consultant's suggestions on locations and wattages. You do want to make sure the lights are back far enough from the subjects as to not create shadows on the faces.

#59007 11/24/05 07:16 PM
Cat Servant
Well.....since you ask....

I would first suggest that you visit a few similar places, and see what they've done. I'd also ask the parson what he desires.
I'd go to a service or two, just to see how that particular church operates, and what they might expect. There are some basic issues here...is the preacher the star of the show- or does he stand to the side, as a supporting figure?

You definitely do not want to light the prescher from below...unless yeo want to make him look satanic! :-)
Lighting from above can also be a problem as you don't want the congregation to be looking into a bright light.

I see a projector screen in the area. One thought is to make a box, and mount a fluorescent strip light in such a way that the bulb is completely concealed from the view of the congregation, with the light aimed up and back. Light will then reflect off the ceiling, and softly light the stage. The same thing can be done on either side of the stage, where the walls meet the ceiling.

This, then, leaves us with indirect lighting, with perhaps a few carefully placed spot lights to accent the artwork.
For example, you might replace the spot light on the cross with rope lighting concealed behind it, to make the outline glow. Ditto for any steps parishoners might be asked to ascend.

Were one to be inspired by Hollywood -where a shaft of light falls upon the anointed- you might forgo lighting all together, and have a "solar tube" skylight installed over the alter.