ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58842 11/22/05 01:43 PM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
On a website that offers materials for repair and upkeep of trailer homes, I came across this:

[Linked Image from mobile-mart.com]

The seller lists it as a "self contained" receptacle.

Has anyone ever had to deal with these beasts? Are they well-built devices or over-priced, easily-broken garbage?

They look like they're designed to be flush-mounted to the wall instead of surface-mounted (which is what most "self contained" receptacles" I've seen are).

K
That is exactly like the ones in my 1983 motor home. I've never had a problem with them, other than it takes a lot of force to unplug anything. I've never had to take one out, so I don't know if there is some kind of box or how it is wired.

They must be real shallow to fit in those motor home walls.

They are flush mounted, and I'm pretty sure you couldn't use them outside of a manufactured home type application.

[This message has been edited by kale (edited 11-22-2005).]

I
There is no box.

I stayed at a friends trailer and saw the oddly placed screws so I had to open one, no box just NM fasted on to it, they come like that as switches.

Remember factory wiring of trailers do not have to comply with the NEC.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Ive come across those a couple times... They attach to the wall like a cut in box with those 2 diagonal screws you see above. Theyre only about 2 inches deep & the romex goes straight through the back of the device, small clips pierce through the insulation (think Scotch 567 connectors) and a plastic piece snaps over the back... the ones I came across in heavily used areas had very little plug retention left, but the rest of em still grabbed like a pitbull...

W
I stayed at a friends trailer and saw the oddly placed screws so I had to open one, no box just NM fasted on to it, they come like that as switches.

Anyone else find this funny [Linked Image] Guess I'm not the only sicko [Linked Image]

G
Here's a site with a picture of one. http://www.rvpart.com/amazonstore/i...=1576&browse_id=90093&parent_id=

You place the NM cable in grooves in the back of the device, just like you do for the ILSCO "insuleater" taps. Then slip the plastic retained over top of the cable until it snaps in place.

I was originally skeptical about these, but I've used them when adding a receptacle in my pop-up trailer and they are all over my manufactured home.

P.S.
They are listed by UL for use without a box, and the NEC addresses wiring of trailers and manufactured homes in 550, 551 and 552.

Ghost307
I
Anyone else find this funny

It's a sickness what can I say. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
I got a call from a homeowner the other day.
He said he was replacing the switches in his mobile home and now his breaker kept tripping.
I went out and found that he had these type of devices in his mobile home. He had removed them and was installing Decora switches in their place without a box. I installed boxes so that the Decora switches could be installed. His connections to the switches were very poor. It's a good thing that they didn't work and the breaker was tripping. I find alot of bad connections done by homeowners. Wires twisted together with just tape over the connection and no wirenut. I'm surprised more houses don't burn down.

M
They are covered in 300.15(E) in the 2002 code.

A
Be carefull.
These devices are usually listed by UL etc. as COMPONENTS to be used ONLY in manufactured housing.
Being a Mng. Hs. location I see this material in site built and remodeled houses and reject it.
When replaced, either the same type of device MUST be used or a junction box installed.
They are listed and label for use in manufactured homes.
Thing like this is why I do not allow service equipment to be mounted on the home unless installed at the factory.
If the rules are different then ALL the rules are different.
Getting people to mount the meter socket and disconnect adjascent to the home is a problem. "But, it is on a permanent foundation". Makes no difference ! If HUD labeled, disconnect outside and seperate from the building.
Mnfgr. homes also allow panels in closets.
Alan--Inspector.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard