ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58810 11/20/05 05:57 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
LK has just pointed something out here.
To a degree, we look at the profile of any new people here, to get an idea of where they are coming from.
If you have the least of information in your profile, as in, no e-mail address, no Occupation details, or to a degree even where you are from, we would assume that you are not intending to be here for a long time.
Can you really blame us for thinking negatively?.
This site works on turn-over of threads, but if we relied(sp?) on lots of threads that never got any replies, this site would die.
Don't get me wrong, you don't have to give your wifes maiden name here, but a bit more info would be cool.
If the regulars can do it here, why can't you?.
You have nothing to be ashamed of here folks!. [Linked Image]

#58811 11/20/05 06:09 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Oh and before you say anything, I've been here for 3-4 years and I've never been spammed from ECN, even though my e-mail address has been in my profile all that time.
I have been hit by the Fire Service Net here though, quite a few times.
Believe me, it's safe, just stay away from any fire-fighters from New Zealand. [Linked Image]

#58812 11/20/05 09:57 AM
S
I'm 35 years old, been doing electrical work since I was 20, and I'm just here to learn more about the trade. I visit the site daily and have learned a lot in the 6-8 months I've been coming here. So, in short, I'm just here to pick the brains of some of the best electicians in the world.

#58813 11/20/05 12:18 PM
Mike,
Point taken, I've added my e-mail address to my profile. I never open 'em if I don't know the sender, in any case.

SM77, ditto your comments.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#58814 11/20/05 01:00 PM
Cat Servant
It's not just a simple thing, like "qualifications."

"Electric work" covers an enormous range of subjects- everything from High Voltage distribution to Plan checking to telephone lines to PLC'c. Not only do darn few folks have any special competence in more than two area, but the views of folks, looking from a slightly different perspective.....can actually result in my learning something!

As for the e-mail address, I have never been spammed either. Looking at the threads, sometimes I don't say things quite as clear as I should, with the result that someone mis-understands me. When that happens, I might want to drop them a note- rather than make a post for everyone to see. Or- someone might want to tell me I'm being silly!

#58815 11/20/05 02:06 PM
J
I'm 47 years old and have been involved with electronics since I built my first regulated 4 voltage supply at 15. My mother hired the electrician that did work for her employer to rewire our house. I think it was my junior year in high school. He let me help him do the work on our house to save Mom some money. I ended up working for him after school and on vacations from college & tech school over the next several years. More importantly, I grew to love this great man like a father. I videotaped his 50th anniversary & flew down to Fl. to see them on their 60th.

Over the years, I've been a field service engineer for computers and transmitters, a systems engineer at a post-production facility, and a broadcast engineer at TV and radio stations. Now, I'm a Testing Engineer in transportaion and get to work with electricians on a day to day basis. It's almost like coming home.
Joe

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 11-20-2005).]

#58816 11/20/05 03:58 PM
M
I have lived in Hawaii for close to 30 years now. In the first few years I had several experiences of old high school "aquaintences" or friends of friends who used to just show up at my door with suitcases in hand. With that memory in mind, I for one choose to stay off the radar so to speak. Hope everyone understands.

#58817 11/20/05 04:14 PM
L
LK Offline
"Not only do darn few folks have any special competence in more than two area, but the views of folks, looking from a slightly different perspective.....can actually result in my learning something!"

That's it John, we need to help provide information, but at the same time take care not to give direct, How to information, so the idea of an e-mail contact with the poster, will inform them of our position, and at the same time, with a short note of support, we can encorage them to come back and learn.

#58818 11/20/05 04:19 PM
L
LK Offline
macmikeman,

What you may want to do, is use an alais e-mail address for contact purposes, to protect your privacy.

#58819 11/20/05 06:51 PM
Been around a while, went to some 'other' sites, like some of us here. I think I filled in all the blanks when I registered. And, NO I have not seen any spam either.

As to the 'un-wanted' e-mails; can't say anyone sent me a personal e-mail, except the few guys that I 'talk' to. (Harold, Les, etc) Take my word, it's NOT a problem.

I, like the thers come here to read, learn, put my 2 cents in, & help if I can

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard