ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 252 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58748 11/16/05 10:41 PM
S
Article 422.16 (B) (2) (2) states that a cord connected dishwasher must not be shorter than 3 foot, and no longer than 4 foot. I was handed an 8 foot, 15a, 125v, cord and told to go wire a DW the other day. I said to my suprior that the cord was too long and that I needed to cut it down to meet code, my boss told me not to worry about it.

Do any of you inspectors enforce this code or is it no big deal? Also, what is the purpose of using a short cord as opposed to one that is say, 8 feet long?

Thanks.

#58749 11/17/05 12:18 AM
E
e57 Offline
Not an Inspector: But....
The length of the cord shall be 0.9 m to 1.2 m (3 ft to 4 ft) measured from the face of the attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance.

2'+ is under the DW most often, what you don't use cut off, and leave 3-4' from the back of the unit. A Bosch will have about 3 1/2' in the track that runs under the unit to the receptical in the cabinet next to it, so using a 6' cord, as I normally do, leaves it a little short, depending on where under the sink the receptical was installed.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#58750 11/17/05 06:41 PM
E57 nailed it by the book. Most DW are 'hard wired' around here.
John

John
#58751 11/18/05 02:00 AM
M
You know what? I have hardwired just about every dishwasher I have ever done. Only now my wife went out to the Sears family day sale last weekend and bought a Bosch dishwasher for - get this- $1,250 bucks!. It only has a one year warrenty. That sucker is going to get a receptacle hookup with the kind of receptalce outlet that has a built in surge protector for sure. I don't want to spend this much twice.

#58752 11/18/05 11:10 AM
A
Yes, I inspect for this violation.
The purpose, in my opinion is because in the old days [last week] somebody would buy a six or nine foot fixture cord and wrap it around the plumbing lines and the garbage can with enough left hanging out to get it pinched in the cabinet doors.
I keep seeing six footers on garbage disposals, because the plumber puts them in, then the electrician gets the call back for the correction.
It is less of a problem with the dishwasher since many are hard wired.
Alan--Inspector

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#58753 11/18/05 06:57 PM
Alan:
A question, please......
If the electrician installs a single receptacle for an appliance, say a garbage disposal, and it is on a 15 amp cb, as per the plans/specs/permit app....
Then, how is it the EC's responsibility for what is 'plugged into' said single receptacle??

Again, if the dw comes with a cord from the factory (mfg), how is the responsibility of the cord the EC's?? OK, if the EC installs the cord & cap, yes, then he is responsible, but if Pete the plumber installs the GD with a cord....then what??

Not trying to start a war....but AHJ to AHJ please!

John

John
#58754 11/18/05 07:37 PM
$1250 for a dishwasher!!!
Mine keeps coming home with broken clocks from the junkshop.

"Can you fix this?"
"Er, no love, it's buggered."
"If it was a bloody woodworking machine you could!"
[Linked Image]

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#58755 11/18/05 08:27 PM
P
"Then, how is it the EC's responsibility for what is 'plugged into' said single receptacle??
Again, if the dw comes with a cord from the factory (mfg), how is the responsibility of the cord the EC's?? OK, if the EC installs the cord & cap, yes, then he is responsible, but if Pete the plumber installs the GD with a cord....then what??

Not trying to start a war....but AHJ to AHJ please!"

This is not necessarily the ECs's fault, or violation, but in new work where an inspector is called in to do an inspection, 422.16(B)(1)&(2) require these cords to be a certain length. If upon inspection they are not within the specified length - violation - if not to the EC, to the building owner.

Pierre Belarge
#58756 11/18/05 08:37 PM
I
It all just are opinion so I will add mine.

An electrical inspector has no business requiring changes to factory installed cords (which I believe is what John is asking about) regardless of gauge, length, cord cap choice etc.

That is what a listing means to me.

Part of 90.7

It is the intent of this Code that factory-installed internal wiring or the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation of the equipment, except to detect alterations or damage, if the equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory that is recognized as having the facilities described in the preceding paragraph and that requires suitability for installation in accordance with this Code.

It reads to me that the inspector is required to ensure they are no alterations to listed equipment , not require alterations.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#58757 11/18/05 08:40 PM
Pierre:
Are we talking about 'factory' (mfg) cords/caps; or 'field installed, if in complance with mfg instructions??

I agree with your reasoning above, but, seems Alan was leaning to a red sticker for the EC.

As I said, most are hard wired in my areas.

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard