ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#58604 11/13/05 12:56 AM
... Here's a picture of the "puller" my mechanic's Grandfather made for us to help with last weeks arduous 150 ft,250kcmil,underground service pull,...and you guys might just laugh at it,but the joke's on you,...the little thing worked like a charm,..no expensive wire pullers for me... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] He welded pieces of versa-strut together,along with a pulley wheel he found in his automotive parts milk-crate in his garage.. Don't you guys go and steal his million dollar idea,now..(patents pending) [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

(edited to put picture on ECN's server)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-13-2005).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#58605 11/13/05 01:34 AM
M
Thats a nice rig your grandfather made, but I don't think the pole will fit into my truck, so I am going to keep my super tugger for a while.

#58606 11/13/05 01:58 AM
...I don't think the pole will fit into my truck,

... Ahhhh,but that's where you're wrong,and the genius of this device begins... the pole telescopes down from a whopping 30 feet to a neat and totally toteable 3 foot section... easily stowed in your pipe-rack for future use.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

... and it wasn't MY Grand-dad,it was my worker's Grand-dad whose brainchild this was... [Linked Image]

...It will be appearing in a "Ronco" infomercial soon,.. Ron Popeil>>> [Linked Image from ideafinder.com] <(known for his invention of a can of SPRAY PAINT to combat male pattern baldness,as well as the "Veg-A-Matic") will tout it as the "Ronco Pull-A-Matic"....I can't wait! (this item is not available in stores).. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 11-13-2005).]

#58607 11/13/05 02:23 AM
Attic Rat,
Is that puller attached to the pole with coach-screws?.
Putting screws and other such things into the side of a pole can compromise the weather proofing of the pole and in time cause it to prematurely rot out, if the holes are not sealed.

#58608 11/13/05 02:28 AM
... Yes,Mike,..they are 3/8"dia.X 2"lag screws,..but I got the OK from the PoCo inspector before I did it..the pole is coated in creosote,and the holes will be dressed upon completion.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

#58609 11/13/05 03:56 AM
So that's where all those "Leaning Poles of Pisa" came from!! [Linked Image]
I think you'll find the creosote goes a tiny bit deeper than a coating;- the vacuum-pressure system used means it practically goes all the way thro' the pole section.
As to a patent, you've posted this in the public domain now Russ, so its all ours! ECN strikes again!! [Linked Image]
Who the heck is Ron?

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#58610 11/13/05 08:29 AM
T
Very impressive Russ. 150' of 250 mcm sounds like a lot of weight. What size pipe? and who was the horse on the business end of the pull? (I have this picture in my head of a couple of guys dangling from the rope...it's not budging because the wire is over 400 lbs.)

Dave

#58611 11/13/05 08:46 AM
I
Mike

Putting screws and other such things into the side of a pole can compromise the weather proofing of the pole and in time cause it to prematurely rot out, if the holes are not sealed.

That must be a down under thing as Alan pointed out the creosote goes deep if not all the way.

Besides our poles are likely to be brought down by a car or truck long before they rot. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#58612 11/13/05 08:52 AM
I
AR I have just one suggestion (OK I have more but I will keep quiet [Linked Image] ) If you use this rig again put a second pulley at the base of the pole so that you are not placing to much 'side' loading of the pole as you pull.

It is also easer for people to pull up on a rope pitched down then pulling down on a rope pitched up.

Loss of traction becomes an issue, this applies to pick ups and vans as well as people. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#58613 11/13/05 10:39 AM
(OK I have more but I will keep quiet )

... I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop........... what's your other suggestions? C'mon,Bob, now you've got me curious.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard