ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 474 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Paul, that's the rub. With their present ethic of 'get it out the door as cheap as possible', it might be decades before they start using 'standards' as a route to consumer safety.

As to an 'NEC based' standard for Europe, laudable, but it will never happen while the French have a veto. Where are the people who think grounding a house is ok via the telephone line going to find thousands of competant inspectors, let alone electricians willing or even able to wire to a Code?
( I nearly said "England!!" then!:- They had to import hundreds of Brit linesmen after the 1999/2000 tempest blew down nearly every pole in N France. Hush! Whisper who Dares, Jacques Chirac is having Nightmares! )

Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
Ah, isn't it comforting to know that EDF now owns some of our utilities? [Linked Image]

the people who think grounding a house is ok via the telephone line

Please tell me you're kidding..... [Linked Image]

O.K., I know that being France anything's possible on the wiring, Sounds like an interesting story behind that one though! Even ignoring the resistance of 5 miles of #22 conductors, didn't whoever did this realize that neither side of the phone line is actually grounded anyway? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-19-2005).]

W
Alan, they have inspectors.
See http://www.consuel.com

And the grounding is done at least in 6mm2. Why so negative?

Wolfgang

M
Seems that most states in the us have different requirements for installation, as does Australia. I would be very happy if we could agree to have laws and licenses standardised just in Australia as im sure would you in the US and most other places. Seems strange we want to make things the same globally when we cant agree locally! You only have to read the differing opinions here to realise it probably wont ever happen. On the other hand I dont believe for a second that we can legislate out stupidity with rule books. Most dodgy things i see here are done by unlisensed people who wouldnt know a wiring rules book if you beat them with it.

G
I have been in IAEI meetings where inspectors in the same department dissagreed about what was legal. I pity the poor contractor in that situation.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard