ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
LK Offline
"Maybe the correct question is: Which standard will be preferred by the Chinese?
Forming together with India almost half of this planet's population and being a future market to be densely electrified."

China, is building a city the size of Philadelphia every month, a pace unheard of in recent times, they will meet or exceed us in the very near future, it would be intresting to see, just what codes, and standards they have in place, here is a link on NEMA's entry into China, http://www.nema.org/media/pr/20040507a.cfm

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 11-14-2005).]

C
C-H Offline
Both China and India are involved in the "European" standardisation process in IEC. The previous Chinese president, Jiang Zemin, is an electrical engineer who worked with the IEC back in the 1970's.

S
It's insteresting, considering China uses various plug & connector standards.

One of them is the American two-flat parallel pin plug for Class 2 apps.

G
I would expect China to use US style equipment, just because that is where most of the US equipment comes from. That must be the biggest market they serve, thus what they make the most of.

Greg Fretwell
W
I would expect China to use IEC style equipment, just because that is where most of the European equipment comes from. That must be the very biggest market they serve, thus what they make the most of.

They are too many I fear.

Considering that the US still uses single wires for wire-pulls.
Most of the work we do here in New Zealand are Multi-Cores (as in either 3-phase+ EGC, or 3-Phase+ Neutral and Earth (ground)).
We "sleeve" the whole part of the installation, as it pretains to cables running down poles, from a 400/230V transformer. (11 or 22kV Primary)
If you can damage a Neutral-Screened cable with 0.125" outer insulation on it, you need to find another job.
Skinning any sort of wire during installation is just poor workmanship.
But, the point I'm trying to make is, why do things have to be made harder, just because they were done like this 50 or so years ago?.

G
Wolfgang, perhaps I should have said US, Canada and Mexico that all use NEMA standard stuff ;-)
I suspect with the building boom we have here the amount of equipment is larger than mere population would suggest. My wife is building 3000-4000 square foot "2d" and "3d" homes for people. We do have a lot of Europeans building houses here tho. Does that count?

Greg Fretwell
Take another thing,
Fluorescent tubes, the nomenclature of the tubes is totally different in the US as to what they are here, not because of voltage either.
A T8/5/840 here could mean a lot of things in the US.

N
Interesting that the "T8" part of the nomenclature has hung on in other parts of the world, while everything else has gone metric.

The "8" is the number ot eighths of an inch of diameter, with T8 lamp being 1" diameter. I wonder why the rest of the world hasn't started calling them "T25" or something similar.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 11-17-2005).]

P
I think China will just turn out stuff to whatever standard is used wherever they want to sell.

BS1363 is used only in the U.K., Ireland, and a few small British-inlfuenced island nations such as Hong Kong, Malta, etc., yet China turns out plugs and adapters for our connectors (however much we wish they wouldn't [Linked Image] ).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard