ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#58458 11/10/05 09:36 PM
U
I have been offered a residential apprenticeship (California), and was told I would be paid per piece. Being a newbie to the trade, I do not know how this works. Whats the diffence between getting paid by piece verus by the hour (financially). Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for your guys/gals time.

#58459 11/10/05 09:56 PM
S
As an apprentice I would assume your electrical skills are minimal. So, the amount of time it will take for you to complete a 'piece' will be longer than typical which translates to you making less than someone with more experience. As you learn and increase your skill level the amount of 'pieces' you complete in an 8 hour day will increase thus increasing the amount of money you will make.

If you are a motivated individual than getting paid by the piece can work out for you. If you are the type who shows up for work because you have to and has little/no motivation, than being paid by the hour would benefit you more (and hurt the employer)

#58460 11/10/05 10:06 PM
E
e57 Offline
OK... Key word time....

"residential apprenticeship" And "paid per piece", and "newbie to the trade"

You wont be paid to learn, just paid to slam as many "pieces" together as possible. Are you going to get paid for the "pieces" you F-up? NO! Are the other people working with you going to spend the time to teach you how to do any of this? No, they are paid by the piece too, and need to slam as many pieces as they can to pay themselves to do this too.

FYI, California apprenticeship laws are changing dramatically, this type of overly casual apprenticeship will soon no longer be allowed. Even the not-so-casual apprenticeships will not be allowed. Only state approved apprenticeship programs will. http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ElectricalTrade.htm

To even work in the trade you would need to be certified by the end of the year. Unless it gets post-poned again....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-10-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#58461 11/10/05 10:13 PM
E
e57 Offline
Print this form out: http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECP-T.pdf Give this to the person offering this Apprenticeship.

<I need to opologize... The person offering this position should know better than to offer a position like this, knowing what is happening to entry to the trade in our state. Unless he doesn't know at all...>

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard