ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#58267 11/06/05 10:29 PM
F
As tempted as it may be to cut up someone elses cord that just isn't right.
You going to dismantle thier ladder because the side is cracked, the studs are mission the rungs...

I had a GC come to me once, tell me that the outside GFI under the panel wasn't working.
Breaker tripped... Well I look at one of the cords plugged in.

Bout 3 different places along the cord the outer sheething is ripped off, and the individual conductors insulation is ripped off, the individual conductors are twisted together and just laying there, not even taped or anything, just bare copper.

The inspector looks at it, laughs and is like "Yeah, they are stupid".
He did nothing so I'm like huh, go inside naturally none of the carpet guys that was using the cord speak english, I grab a translater and tell her to inform that if they use that cord again I'm gonna cut it up.

But they never used it again, saw the guy throw it in the trash.

#58268 11/06/05 10:49 PM
L
It seems like MI-OSHA, does a walk through on just about every job I've been on in the last five years. The majority of those jobs have been in auto plants and Osha comes through about once a week.
Everytime they show up, they check cords and cut ends off any that aren't in proper condition.
I think in some instances, it really needs to be done but, not neccesarily by the electrician on the job.
Remember, you can protect the fool but not the damn fool.
I would say, our responsibility ends with our equipment and our installations.
If the plumbers want to act like idiots and work with wet power tools without checking the GFI or asking the electrician to check it, they deserve what they get.
It's everyones responsibility to ensure their own safety on the job.

#58269 11/07/05 12:18 AM
J
I would remind all that GFCI's are not psychic and don't know the loads that they are sourcing. Is it possible that this gentleman was on a non-conductive ladder and not part of a fault path at all??? What if his wet tool let moisture in through cooling vents and got to the brushes??? If he was just a parralel current path to the motor, the GFCI wouldn't sense a differential current through its coil and cause a trip signal.

#58270 11/07/05 04:28 PM
D
I was on a job were the tile setter saw kept tripping the temp-panel breaker. I try ed to explain to them that a 16AWG cord extended 80ft should be at least 12AWG. Because of lack of a translator, all i got were blank stars. GC was no help said it was my problem

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard