ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, HotLine1), 169 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#58225 11/04/05 07:52 PM
Cat Servant
I have seen ads for those sorts of jobs, and they typically call for evidence of having completed a utility company apprenticeship.

A man must know his limitations. The usual electrician apprenticeship has virtually no high voltage training- just a primer on cable types.

And don't kid yourself. Just because you ran some wire for a 15KV neon sign does not mean you're prepared for 4KV power lines. The tools, techniques, and materials are entirely different fron the usual "electric" stuff!

#58226 11/04/05 09:13 PM
E
e57 Offline
I have done <some> low voltage distribution line work, and know enough to stay the hel# away from things I am not qualified for!

Hey, any of you guys know where that video of the guy on PCP climbing the pole is? Its a perfect illistration of exactly what the dangers are... i.e. the man engulfed in the white/blue ball of light...

Didn't find video, But Doug wells found Pic's: http://members.tripod.com/~StormTrooper_2/index2.htm

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-04-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#58227 11/04/05 09:14 PM
I must agree with the concensus here.
HV equipment, lines and techniques are a totally different animal to anything that the majority of Electricians work with.
As Nick said above, you don't even have to be touching a HV line to get electrocuted by it.
That's why the Electrical safety distances are a lot higher at these voltages.
High Voltages command a deservedly large amount of respect from those that work with them.

#58228 11/05/05 02:18 AM
Who Out there regularly messes with High Voltage while it is Live?? In theory we are all supposed to shut off anything before we work with any voltage. Anyone who works with Live HV is highly trained With multiple layers and levels of PPE!
As long as you know how to safely check for voltage and safely apply grounding jumpers with the proper PPE you are fine. Learning how to do a stress cone and check clearances is not an issue for anyone with "average" abilities.
Terminating Ethernet can be hard the first time or two. Making a rack of rigid conduit look good can be hard. Relay logic is challenging sometimes. I'd prefer to do stress cones myself.
All of that being said. You'd better be a knowledgeable electrician before you start messing with HV.
It's electricity, It Can Kill you if you Don't respect it... Survival of the fittest
Justin

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
#58229 11/05/05 11:21 AM
P
I'm afraid this one is certainly a case where if you need to ask what you need know, then you're not going to get the job.

I've worked with HV in electronics regularly, e.g. measuring 1 to 4kV supplies for high-power transmitter stages, etc. and feel quite comfortable doing so, but that's still a world apart from 4kV power distribution systems. I would certainly need to learn from those more-experienced for the latter.

#58230 11/05/05 12:03 PM
I
My experience with 4160 was strangely also while I worked at an amusement park.

I did not even consider working with it live.

Suit up, use an insulated boom truck and open the cut outs with a hot stick.

That said I did make repairs on the overhead 4160 distribution myself, the overhead work is not rocket science at least as far as repairing it.

The underground portions I called in an outside contractor for as I am not trained in making those terminations.

It seems unlikely that the current employees will not have some training for you if hired.

By the way 4160 is not used to directly supply any rides that I have seen.

208Y/120 is the most common while some large rides will use 480 3 PH.

I will second the LOTO, the only death in the park I worked in was the death of a maintenance man cut/crushed in two by a ride that was not locked out. Don't let this happen to you.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#58231 11/05/05 08:15 PM
E
My experience with 4160 was strangely also while I worked at an amusement park.

That must have been one badass cotton candy machine. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard