ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#57820 10/23/05 01:59 AM
I have had one earring in my left ear for about 15 years now. (Usually it's a gold motorcycle or a small fake diamond stud).

It has never been a problem with either clients or other trades, (the wife of one client in particular was facinated by the motorcycle ring) with the odd exception of the time I worked for a motocross racing organization. I could not wear any earrings in the office (not open to the public) but it was OK when I was at the track or in the field meeting with sponsors. Go figure.

On my current jobsite there are quite a few guys in "gangster" type clothing, but they all are quite good at their work. The building's owners don't seem to mind at all.

As a service tech, I would prefer all my workers to at least wear properly fitting jeans and clean t-shirts without any offensive or sexual applications.

The best solution for concerns about the type of clothing worn at a jobsite is to provide company T-shirts to your workers. They need not cost a lot if you don't get too crazy with the design.

Stupid should be painful.
#57821 10/23/05 07:39 AM
Just going with the Tat's sort of thing.
I have over 75% of my body, covered in 3rd degree burn scars and skin grafts.
You won't find me wearing the least of clothing even on the hottest of days here.
I didn't get these as an Electrician, but it puts in perspective, the thing about presentation.
I'm all for a "clean" look turning up to a customers house.
Shut up and do the best that you can for yourself and your company.
Oh and BTW, I've retired the ear-rings, time to grow up I guess, not that I actually wore them to work or to Fire calls.

#57822 10/23/05 07:29 PM
You can eventually'retire' the metalwork when you move on into sensible pastures, ( like suddenly you start yearning for pullovers and saying "Oh, that's a nice Volvo, we could get all the kids in that.")

Tatoos however- you've got a lifetime to regret those, especially the utter crap artwork of third-rate practitioners. My beef on site clothes is all those guys in shorts. Quite apart from the ghastly short fat hairy / horrid long spindly shiny bald legs, shorts provide no protection from minor scrapes, chemicals or for that matter, melanoma. That saying about not judging a book by the cover? - go to a bookshop and see how many books have a plain jacket or cover. None! Why? 'cos they don't sell!
First impressions are often last impressions in business.
As to me, no tatoos, no rings, no gold, - nothing. Not interested in fancy duds or fashions or weird haircuts or mobile phones with cameras. When I go out, I shave and put on clean clothes and clean shoes. I don't even wear a watch.
I like fast cars though, and still like to look at beautiful dames!- That's OK: Look at the menu, but don't order anything!

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#57823 10/24/05 12:23 AM
A
You can eventually'retire' the metalwork when you move on into sensible pastures, ( like suddenly you start yearning for pullovers and saying "Oh, that's a nice Volvo, we could get all the kids in that.")

[Linked Image]

Got a chuckle out of that one. How true.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard