ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
In my fire department, it was common practice a few years ago to routinely pull the meter when a service disconnect needed to be made, in lieu of a real switch. Usually, this went well, except for a couple of occasions when the glass housing around the meter was also broken. I will say that, thanks primarily to the members of ECN (and some of the horror stories y'all related here), I was able to discourage this practice a couple of years ago. The normal firefighting gear - boots, leather gloves, turnout coat and pants, and a helmet with an open face shield - is a very poor substitute for proper PPE. Nowadays, we simply proceed with extreme caution when access to an interior disconnect is risky, or has been compromised by the fire. If the fire has burned out the service conductors to the building, we secure the area where the conductors have fallen, or we move them with an insulated "hot stick" (the same type used by the POCO. with the exception that we never use ours for opening primary disconnects on poles) to a remote area.

We had a fire many years ago at a local auto dealership, in which the fire actually originated in the electrical service equipment inside the building. There being no disconnect switch outside, we protected the remainder of the building while the electric equipment continued it's meltdown until it finally blew the primary fuses on the pole. The new electric service sports a nice 600 amp disco on the outside.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 10-20-2005).]

L
Thanks for the reply Mike,
It's nice to see that I'm not carrying on about a moot point.
It just makes sence to have some means for disconnect on the outside or atleast in an enclosed switchgear room accessible from the outside.
In my area of the country, we have many manufacturing facilities where an outside disconnect would not only be handy but, could actually reduce the risk to those firemen who have enough to worry about while doing their job.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard