ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#57623 10/17/05 07:46 PM
D
derater Offline OP
As an alternative to replacing forced air funace a landlord wants me to install BB heat.Will require app. 45', on a 100a service, w/ range,hot water,dryer already there.General lighting / receptacle load modest.Feedback please, thanks.

R
Thoughts...

45' @ 1kW per 4'= 11.25 kW.
11,250 / 240 volts = 46.875 amps.

Sounds like a service upgrade to me.

T
I would recommend looking at a heat pump system. They provide airconditioning in the summer and heat in the winter. You should be able to get more rent with an airconditioned unit.

If the ducts are already there, the cost may be quite tractable. Further, many areas provide tax and utility breaks. For example a direct rebate on a hefty percentage of the capital cost as a direct tax credit or a tax write off.

Since it might be catagorized as a repair the whole thing might be immediately deducted. Check with a pro on that.

Baseboard heat would never be construed as a repair, nor would it get any of the above tax breaks.

A modern heat pump might eliminate the need for a service upgrade. And you known that the owner would kick over it. Hooking up a heat pump is as if it were an airconditioner.

Tesla
R
Tesla,

Around the Northeast, heat pumps often have a 10 kW backup resistance heater.

Where are you located, derater?

G
Heat pumps only make sense where there is a fairly temperate climate. If you are too far north it ends up running on the toaster wire heat all the time. Down here in southern Florida the heating season is not long enough to justify the additional hardware cost.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard