ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#57551 10/18/05 07:32 PM
D
I learned on my Dad's Benfield (now sold by Klein) Ductile Iron jobs... But my foreman had a Greenlee that really seemed to bend easier than any others.

Currently I've got a GB for 1/2 and an Ideal for 3/4.

#57552 10/18/05 07:37 PM
V
I agree with renosteinke, the most infuriating thing I have run into is thinking that a vertical handle is 30, and finding out it is actually a 45. [Linked Image] Add one to the trophy pile...

I have both Ideal and GB hand benders, and someday I will get mad enough to make sure I have a consistent collection of benders. I think a steel head will last longer than a die-cast (take more abuse without deforming or breaking), but other than that a bender is a bender is a bender.

As for the magnetic protractor, there is nothing better for matching the angles of either “the last guy” or building structure. Trying to get that 3/4” tucked into building steel, and it's not a multiple of 90? Slap it up there and then match that 55 degree angle with ease! And for any conduit not hand bent, it's a 10$ tool than makes you look like a magician.

Pete
#57553 10/18/05 10:43 PM
Cat Servant
E57...and those of you too timid to ask...the crutch tip helps keep the handle from sliding on the floor when you are using it "shoe up."
If you are using just any old pipe for a handle, you want the 1" tips. If yours are the fancy store-bought handles, then the 1 1/8 tips fit (for the two smallest benders).

I also use Loktite to keep the head from unscrewing.

#57554 10/18/05 10:53 PM
A
I just got used to the Ideal and hate using another. Mostly like others said others will bend a 45 when the handel is strait up instead of a 30.

#57555 10/20/05 01:26 AM
S
Thanks for all your replies. There seems to be a general concensus that it doesn't really matter much, but with a slight preference for the Ideal because of the "30 degrees at straight-up" design. So I've gone out a picked up an Ideal. Thanks again!

#57556 10/20/05 02:27 AM
E
e57 Offline
Reno', nice tip on the tip!

Anyway, some other bender notes...

I usually have all 3 of my 1/2" benders in the truck. (One regular use, one no handle, which I grap the 3/4 handle to hand to the App's. And my "Baby bender" which is a 2' handle for tight places like alleys, hallways and general production bending that I do all on the floor. Short handle, no need to stand... Also fits nicely in a hammer loop, and good for bending on the wall or in the air. Good for use on a lift as well.)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#57557 10/20/05 07:38 AM
A handy trick I've used for tight back to back bends:

A couple of galvanized plumbing elbows with a nipple between them and a short nipple to go into the bender head can be used to offset the handle. It takes a little practice, but works.

(I once got a job with a contractor whose trick was to ask applicants to bend an 18" back to back 90°. I bent a full circle this way. He was amazed [Linked Image] and hired me on the spot. )

#57558 10/20/05 07:06 PM
L
I have : Ideal 1/2" Ideal 1" Ideal & Greenlee 3/4". The 1/2" has been hanging on the garage wall for years, I don't run 1/2". I use my Greenlee 3/4 the most I like the angle sites on it plus it's lighter then my Ideal. I find myself fine tuning emt while on a ladder so lighter is better. I like to keep the flared end on the handle open as opposed to putting tips on it. I use the flared end to adjust emt stubs coming out of the block walls.

#57559 10/20/05 09:02 PM
F
i have ideal both 1/2 and 3/4 benders but instering twist with my i took a stainless steel pipe and threaded both end and presto i have two bender on one pipe it more heveyer but i dont have to drag two benders with me at all [ you may want to change the length of pipe to suit your need ] my pipe bender "handle" is little over 5 feet long so it make easier to bend the 3/4 pretty fast .

the other secret is get fine sand paper from time to time clean up the groove so you dont get any kink at all and once a while spray WD-40 will do the trick but for threaded area in the handle i used anti sezire compund stuff it work great

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#57560 10/20/05 10:02 PM
E
e57 Offline
Reno' thougtht of you today as I slipped my foot behind my bender as I bent in the air... "Crutch tp.... Hmmm."

Anyway, Electure you mentioned a 'bender test' for hiring... This is an experiance I had years ago, and ends funny...

I go in for an interveiw, the guy wants me to sit for a short written test, just a few general knowledge questions etc. Then in the garage of the shop he has two boxes mounted to the wall and a low cieling... All of the KO's are out, and he says, "You can go in any direction you want, bend some 1/2" from there, to there. I'm gonna look over your test, and come see me when you're done." (All of anything you might need was sitting in a box, and there was plenty of pipe in a rack next to it.) So I do it, I get hired.... I'm working there for about a year, and one day, I show up at the shop, and there's a guy at the table nervously taking the test. So I tell him, "Hey don't worry, we all took that, and theres no trick questions..." And I go in to see the boss. He says, "Did you see that kid out there? This ones gonna be good! This guy wants $30 an hour... Just hang out while I get him set up..." He goes out, and comes back, and opens a cabinet in his office, and theres a CCTV monitor of the shop trained on where this guy is standing. I asked how long he had that there, he said he always had it there... "You didn't know... I watched you too. I guess you cant see the camera out there, its buried behind a lot of crap..." So we're watching this guy... He dogs a bx off-set badly, cuts it off, and looks for a place to stash it... Starts again, makes a 90, but not quite, tweeks it by hand, and kinks it. Folds that in half, looks around, stashes it under a truck! Starts back, realizing there may be only a certain number of sticks in the pipe, goes back to the bosses van, pulls out a new stick! (Leaves the carrier open!)Myself and the boss are rolling! Starts again, gets almost there 15 minutes later, and cuts too short to make it to the box. He drops the pipe, and walks out... Boss says as he's catching his breath... "Theres someone I don't have to fire down the road!"

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard