ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 394 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#57459 10/14/05 10:07 PM
waymag Offline OP
I am just so fed up with other trades coming along and man handling my fine conduit craftsmanship. Again this week a mechanical contractor thought his work was more important than my work. I had all my home runs heading down to a soon to be mounted panel. I went back out a day later and all my conduits were jacked up so he could hang his heater. I confronted him and he gave me the no habla ingles bullcrap.sheeeeeeeeeesh.

#57460 10/14/05 11:53 PM
S
Sounds familiar. How many times have you had the tin-bashers install the duct work 4" from the ceiling and directly under a junction box?

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#57461 10/15/05 10:18 AM
D
The way it was explained to me when I was a "noob", the plumbers are at the top of the "contracting food chain" - ie they can cut what they want, and run wherever they need to.

Electricians are next.

HVAC guys are lower, then cable/phone/security.

Rockers are supposed to cover it all up so you can't see it, but somehow they're below the painters and trim carpenters, who hide the sheetrock; they're also below the framers who provide the wood they hang the wallboard on.

I also just write it up to them wanting to feel more important. [Linked Image]

#57462 10/15/05 10:35 AM
I
Just a question, did this job have mechanical prints?

Did you look at them before you ran your rack?

In general if the mechanical prints show unit heaters and duct work in a certain location and you go and put stuff in the way it will be your own fault for not paying attention to the other trades.

Now if your on a job that does not have detailed prints that is a whole other story. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#57463 10/15/05 11:34 AM
E
Many times the electrical prints will show exactly where to put something, and the mechanical and/or plumbing will also show that location for something else. What is needed is a job meeting with the general contractor to work out these problems before they are problems.
If it were easy, any one could do it!

The plumbers are at the top of the priority list because they have run and slope requirements for the drains. We can shift and offset with little effort (usually). HVAC guys are usually ahead of us in the priority list for similiar reasons. Everybody abuses the rockers because it is so easy (inexpensive) to repair holes in the rock.
Really, it all boils down to who will charge the most to move or repair the damage.

Earl
#57464 10/15/05 06:48 PM
waymag Offline OP
Well we have the mechanical prints but they hung an elaborate unistrut and all thread set up and pushed my stuff out of the way

#57465 10/15/05 09:30 PM
S
On a residential job, I always love the duct guys who install their vents right in the middle of the room where a ceiling outlet should be. Who are the geniuses who walk away and say, "that's good." But I see it all the time. I believe most common sense comes with experience in the trade.

#57466 10/16/05 07:49 PM
S
Some HVAC contractors around here are worse than others. But usually we can share priority. For larger pipe runs 2" and above, and for recessed cans they will work around us, especially if they had the lighting print when they engineered the mechanical. but for the small conduit runs for branch circuits and what have you we let them have priority because it is a lot eaiser to re route a 1/2" emt than a 12" solid duct. The bigger problem is usaully the superintendant because he usually says "Its not my problem you guys figure it out." And he goes back into the trailer to play solataire.

Link Copied to Clipboard