ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#57434 10/15/05 07:13 AM
P
Working in drizzly rain is something you get used to here in England. [Linked Image]

I live in a part of the country which is drier than average (about 25 inches per annum), but it can still be miserable sometimes. Fortunately, everything on the PoCo side of the meter is handled by the PoCo itself (or their agents) here, so that's not something we have to worry about.

I had quite enough of climbing poles in the rain when I worked for the phone company!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-15-2005).]

#57435 10/15/05 08:18 AM
H
One of the worst jobs I had to do in the rain was to replace a service cable. The building was old, the landlord was cheap, and the service was burniing up. So naturally, the service let go in the middle of a rain/hail storm. The people needed power and heat and the job was around 2:30-4:30. The POCO was just going to change shifts but luckily I knew one of the foreman. He was able to get a crew out there and help me change over the service. We were working in the stinging hail sones trying to secure the service to the house. We kinda got it up there, but it wasn't pretty. I had to go back and restrap everything nice and as per code. It was just a pain when you looked around and these hail stones were hitting you in the face,etc.

#57436 10/15/05 10:13 AM
D
Digging my latest trench, and having to backfill a section so the landscaper (the project's "GC") could lay out the run for his walkway. Good old clay soil, too.

I hate trenching... did I mention that? [Linked Image]

#57437 10/15/05 10:28 PM
D
My 3rd day of my 1st week of work, which was this past Wednesday, I was doing a service riser installation in 2 new apartments that were built above an existing restaurant. The roof wasn't sealed yet, so every single place I had to be to do work was leaking. I was pissed on ALL day. Then, going from the 1st to 2nd to 3rd floor, all via extension ladder.

#57438 10/15/05 10:50 PM
B
Slightly off topic, but since we're discussing hot gloves and rain: How is it that power lines can be safely serviced in the rain? Isn't there a much higher risk of flashover across the surface of the glove, or simply enough creep to cause electrocution, because of the water?

-John

#57439 10/15/05 11:05 PM
L
One could argue that, as distilled water, rain is non-conductive.

Not this one, mind you, but some other one!

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#57440 10/16/05 07:21 AM
Tom Offline
Here in the Mountain State we have a saying " A chickens head is only an inch wide, but it has sense enough to get in out of the rain."

Getting wet is just one of the many negatives to doing electrical work. However, there are those days that are so absolutely perfect (weatherwise) that you feel sorry for all those poor suckers working at a desk or in a factory or store.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#57441 10/16/05 12:47 PM
Cat Servant
I suppose it won't hurt to repeat the obvious.

Our primary protection against getting shocked is the "bird on a wire" principle. This is all the more important in the rain. I have seen (qualified) folks touch uninsulated 100KV lines with their bare hands, without ill effect- because they made VERY sure there was no place for the electricity to go!

Procedures come into play. For example, dealing with one line at a time, and exposing the 'live' end for as short a time as possible.

Finally, making sure that you only have ONE thing to worry about. That is, solid footing, and a comfortable position. You might even do some tree-trimming first, so you don't have a branch slapping you in the face!

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations. Don't be afraid to back off, and say "maybe tomorrow." After all, my first goal at work is to go home at the end of my shift!

#57442 10/16/05 07:32 PM
L
Into everyone's life some rain must fall
If your going to do electrical work - your going to get wet at some point.

#57443 10/16/05 08:44 PM
W
WFO Offline
Quote:
"I hope you picked out your coffin first.

That is a job for the PoCo. "

Being a "PoCo", it's good to know we're appreciated. Reminds me of a few months ago watching one of our lineman at the top of a 35 foot pole, raining, with lightning popping all around, having to change out an insulator. All goes well, gets down, and 30 minutes he later steps on a copperhead.

....alll in a days work.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard