ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
I recently installed an underground conduit (110VAC)underground and tested fine on the GFCI. After a week, there was no juice and GFCI failed test. Outlets I tapped into from the side of the house are also dead. Nothing tripped. DVM shows nothing across hot to neutral, but about .3VAC across hot to ground. This outlet is at the end of a loop. Any help is appreciated.

J
Pete,

If the outlet that supplies the new GFI is dead you would need to check the fuse or breaker for that circuit.

Is there a switch to control these receptacles that is off?

Pete,

Welcome!
If I understand it correctly you connected to an existing outside outlet? If so, is there a GFCI that protected that outside outlet? It might be in the Bathroom, Basement, Garage etc. If you're not sure I'd look around for a tripped GFCI in one of those locations. Or, it could be a loose connection somewhere.

Bill

Bill
D
My bet would be a loose or broken connection somewhere upstream of the added work. The new work was the "straw that broke the camel's back" to an existing weak connection.

Dallas

P
Well guys, looks like Bill had the answer. There was a GFCI stashed in a tight spot behind two AC cooling units. Reset it and life became much better. Just another case of my not eliminating the obvious first, no matter how hard it may be to believe! Thanks for all your posts.

Link Copied to Clipboard