ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 541 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#57276 10/14/05 01:24 PM
B
It is all in how carefull you are. But even then, you can still get bit.

I habe made almost 100 purchases and used to have a perfect rating. I bid on, and won, a setup for communicating with my cell phone through the computer. It was the cable and the software from Motorola. Good price, great feedback.

I get the package and all is OK. The cable is Motorola OEM. The disc, however, didn't look exactly right. I attempted to load it and it failed to load. 4 hours later I call Motorola for support, and eventually discover that the CD is bootleged.
Fortunately I had not left any feedback yet. So I tried to contact the seller; no answer. So I leave a negitive feedback; he blasts me for lying and being a sore bidder.

Well, two weeks later I look at his feedback and he has 20 or so negitives for that very disc. I just happened to be the poor slob who was first to catch it.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Ed

#57277 10/14/05 11:24 PM
S
BigEd FWIW - Ebay has resolved issues like yours many times before. Your previous 100 positive feedbacks and the sellers 20 "busted" negative feedbacks would be a clear cut case to them. They will erase your negative feedback record and eventually terminate the scammers account. First step is the live Ebay help link. I've fended off a couple of scammers "potential negatives" before with their help. I'm at 166 positives, no negatives so far...

#57278 10/15/05 12:48 AM
I've just had my first Ebay drama today after approx 80 purchases. I recieved this email about 4 hours ago:

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Item Title - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our records show that you were a bidder on this item. We recently removed this listing and have suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for items listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not covered by the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud.

If you have not sent payment to the seller, we urge you to not proceed with the transaction.

If you have already paid, you may wish to pursue recouping your funds. Some steps you might take include:

1. Ask the seller for a refund
2. If you paid by check, ask your bank to stop payment
3. If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company's security department
4. If you have made a payment by money order or wire transfer, you may contact that company for further information at 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union), or at 1-800-926-9400 (Money Gram)
5. If you paid with PayPal, review the Buyer Complaint Process at:

/csg/p?www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-buyer-outside

6. Review eligibility requirements for eBay's standard purchase protection program at:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-fraud-claim-requirements.html

There are many tips on how to protect yourself with any Internet transaction in the eBay Security Center located at:
http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay, but we're here to help you protect yourself in the event it does. If you have any questions, please reply directly to this email.

Regards,
Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc

I had paid for the purchases & freight about 2 hours prior to recieving this email, the seller has shut up shop & now the fun begins. I paid for the items using funds transfer from my account, I contacted the bank & the girl said that because the funds are going to another bank, it may be stopped before the funds have been moved. Will keep you posted.

#57279 10/15/05 07:06 AM
P
When I'm looking at a seller's feedback and see one or two negatives among hundreds of positives, I generally follow the links through to look at the feedback for the person who gave those negatives.

In virtually all those cases I find that the person giving bad feedback is generally being unreasonable in some way or another (e.g. complaining that it's been 48 hours and he "still" hasn't received his goods [Linked Image] ).

Fortunately, I've not run into such an awkward customer yet, so I've clocked up 160 positives with no neutrals or negatives yet (as mentioned before though, quite a lot of my transactions are repeat business).

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-15-2005).]

#57280 10/15/05 02:32 PM
Yeah, eBay is pretty good at fighting against bad sellers (and bad bidders) as well.

I had one incident when I was selling some high-end audio amplifiers. I had eight of them listed and one buyer wanted all eight of them! Sounds great, right? Well.....

Each amp had a total shipping weight of 40 lbs., so I had stated in the auction text (twice) that I would not do any C.O.D. on these items. This chap wanted them sent C.O.D., I sent him an email reminding him that they cannot be sent C.O.D. due to the weight. (Final price with shipping was around $350.00US each.) He insisted that I had to send them C.O.D. because the payment summary at the top of the page said C.O.D. was one method. (That summary carries over from previous auctions by a seller and is sometimes overlooked in the auction set-up process.) I reminded him that the rules on eBay state that the text of the auction superceed any other information.

Well, he of 450+ feedback (a few negatives) puffed up and insisted that if I did not pay him to cancel his bids he would leave negative feedback for me, but if paid him he would leave a positive.

Well, can we say extortion, boys and girls? [Linked Image]

I sent a copy of his emails to eBay along with the link to the auction. eBay ruled in my favor and banned this bidder from the site. (Did I mention the guy was a doctor?)

This was the only bad experience in over 110 transactions.

I also have a 93 all positive rating, with about 17 or so repeat transactions. (Repeat business from either a seller or buyer doesn't count toward your total feedback rating.)

It's in the way that you use it.... (wasn't that a song?)

Stupid should be painful.
#57281 10/16/05 09:44 PM
G
Ebay left me swinging in the wind. I bought a "30' pool light". It was a 15 foot pool light with 15 feet of extra SJOW in the box.
The seller "PhatDude" said I cut the cord and gave me a negative. Ebay said I could get them to look into it for $25. I just live with the negative.

Greg Fretwell
#57282 10/17/05 07:47 AM
P
Well you could have just twisted the wires together, wrapped them in tape, and dropped it in the pool, couldn't you? Honestly, some people are just so picky....... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

(Or maybe you could have used it with Joe T's famous "soap bottle extension cord" [Linked Image] ).

#57283 12/25/05 06:50 AM
R
Ebay is a great place for old electrical gear like pulse clocks and masterclocks, also reel to reel tapes I have bought NOS.
I have bought quite a few items over the last 3 years and had no problems with the dealers.
I check the feedback rating and 95% or better is fine to me.
Have done about 44 buys and my profile is 100%.

In one case I bought a clock in Italy and was quoted air freight, post office there said that no surface option was available hence very expensive postage. When the seller posted the clock the post office had a lower rate to NZ. the seller offered me a refund for the extra I paid via Paypal or could sent me another clock of the same type for free. I opted for the other clock. and the second parcel arrived in due course.

I have to say that postage is the killer and is very expensive up to 20 Kilo's.

For bidding the best is to wait to the last minute and stick to your budget.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#57284 12/26/05 03:43 AM
D
The wife used to work for Grainger HQ in their securtiy/loss prevention department.

They had a ring of assistant managers that were short-listing meters (ordered 4 received 2) or listing them as broken or otherwise "damaged in transit", then selling them on EBay for a fraction of the normal retail.

They were caught (IIRC) because one of the perps listed the serial number in the auction, and it was traceable to one of his sign-offs.

#57285 12/26/05 10:04 PM
E
Now that wasn't very smart. [Linked Image]

John
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard