ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#57204 10/07/05 08:47 AM
B
Bill39 Offline OP
I'm probably just repeating what some ancient Greek stone mason said, but what is your take on the level of craftsmanship (electrical) these days.
It seems like too many corners get cut and the customer either doesn't care or doesn't know the difference to ask for a proper job. Of course the contractors have to push to get the project installed at a profit but some things should be a given.

My work is mainly in the industrial field (don't even get me started on residential) and it really bugs me to see things like:
Not deburring edges
Sharp corners have been left untouched
Conduit bends not matching (just kills me)
Conduit & panels not level or plumb
Exposed PVC pipe not supported properly
Conduit racks where the pipes criss-cross like spaghetti
Messy terminations in control panels
No wire numbers!!!!!!!

What are your pet peeves?

#57205 10/07/05 10:28 AM
D
It's never going to end. To the home owner or company, they don't know the difference. At long as it works to them, it doesn't matter.

As for the contractor, as long as they make maximum profit with cutting corners enough so that nothing happens within the next 6-12 months is what they aim for, in my honest opinion.

There's only a handful of electricians and contractors that actually rather make a decent profit, but the work is done right, the first time, to last for years to come.

#57206 10/07/05 09:25 PM
E
"Make everyday your masterpiece"

I have seen this quote in my CPA's office and i truly believe in it.

You are right most customers do not know the difference between workmanship and a good workmanship.

IMHO take pride in what you do because you know it is the best workmanship. because the one who should notice will notice.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
#57207 10/07/05 09:44 PM
L
I'll tell you what we have found. The lowest price gets the job. How do suppose they get the price way down there?? So you and I stand up and say - No way, we just won't do work like that!! That other guy, well they'll soon see that you get what you pay for!! Meanwhile that other guy is eating your lunch!! Just the way I see it..

#57208 10/08/05 07:08 AM
I
Bill I suggest you worry about your own work and let the customer worry about the others work.

I am not trying to be rude just pointing out that if this stuff drives you crazy you are getting stressed about things beyond your control.

Install your own work as you see fit and that separates you from the others. Because of that difference if the local economy supports it you can charge more for your work.

That is how the company I work for tries to sell, we cost more but you get more.

However we all want (need) to work and if the customer beats the price down some things have to go. We can not compromise the safety of the installation so all that is left is cheaper materials and faster, less pretty work.

All the trades are in the same boat, we can only provide what the customer is willing to pay for. We can not take the work at a loss just so we can say

Wow what a great looking job we did.

Anyway I feel there are still craftsman out their it is just that they are not allowed the time to do everything they want to do.

It's sad but I do not see it changing.

FWIW I hate all the things you listed and I will add threaded rods left long under strut racks, always good for hitting you head on. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-08-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#57209 10/08/05 03:55 PM
L
LK Offline
Good post Bob, not to worry, here in New Jersey everything is going to change, all work will be preformed in a perfect manner, prices will all be just what you want, all customers will be happy with everything you do, and there will be no more hackers working in New jersey, you see, we have the 34 hours of CEU's and this will cure all our problems. [Linked Image]

#57210 10/08/05 07:01 PM
B
Slightly OT as I pride myself with craftsmanship however after all my hard work I am disgusted with some of the poor quality fixtures I am asked to install. Even some of the high priced junk from the lighting stores. I have a box filled with various mounting plates and straps since many times the one that comes with the fixture won't work. Plus the fixtures are so flimsy you can't get them to hold tight to the surface half the time....EOR (end of rant)

#57211 10/08/05 08:28 PM
W
There are many things that irrrrritate me when I see some of the crap that has been installed, too many things to list as I am sure ya'll know. When my oldest boy was first getting into being my helper, I told him to do the best job he could do and not to be satisfied unless he was willing to put his name on his work (figuratively of course). After he started to get some experience, he would point out things, like sloppy conduit bending or pipe runs, etc. that he would see whenever we were somewhere that the ceilings were open. Don't get me wrong, I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination nor is he but both of us try to do a quality job. So IMO you do the best that you can and don't worry about what the other guy has done. You can't change them. As the Beatle song went (for those of you old enough to remember who they were--ha ha ha) "Just sing obla-di-bla-da life goes on bra la la la life goes on!"
Man, now I have to break out my turntable and throw that vinyl on.....
And that as they say is my 2 cents worth.

#57212 10/09/05 12:47 PM
W
Most of the times it is not even worth trying to make it nice.
The customer doesn't know the difference and all they do know is your more expensive then the other guys. Keep in mind the reason we are doing this is to make a living not to prove what a nice install we can do. It might be are 1st choice of work because we enjoy it, but bottom line we need to make a living. Do the job so that it works properly
looks right and will last. In the end if the 90's don't match up it will still work fine for years. So the customer who doesn't know better even if you let them know just doesn't care to spend the money.
Just my $.02

#57213 10/09/05 01:35 PM
L
LK Offline
"The customer doesn't know the difference"

He may not know, but his brother in law, or family friend may know, you will not have to keep in mind, the reason we are doing this is to make a living, if the 90's don't match up, or the workmanship is sloppy.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 10-09-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard