ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Cow Offline
Only the wires in the gutter will be derated. Do you own a codebook? I am required to have one for my classes.

D
I do, but it makes it a tad easier to interpret by asking the question, rather than assume it to be one way, only to be wrong.

E
e57 Offline
I use gutters like this a lot! And yep <30 conductors at any cross section. If I have a lot of room to work with, I'll take a 6' and put it above or below the panel, with about 2' either side, so I dont have to figure out how to squeeze all the romex, or MC into one stud bay. This work fantastic for MM w/ dist 200a panels with a 3" concentric, and a few halfs at the bottom. Otherwise how would they all fit in there? This way you leave all the grounds in the gutter. (I like cans too)

I put a ground bar, and bond with a #6, only 'cause I never use #8, and have tons of 6 on the truck.

Anyway, while on the subject of derating, and using fewr KO's...

I have seen alot of this done lately.

42 circ panel with 4 1" emt's to cans and gutters (like 50' away) with the whole panel going through it all in #10's, all derated. Late one I saw, I did the math, and it was all pretty close... I don't like it, but seems to be a growing trend with a few companies around here. I guess it saves some mat's and labor on bending a few more conduits, but just don't feel right?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
W
When we last had a discussion on this topic, I had the following idea:

A large shallow gutter, perhaps 1" thick, 2 feet tall, as wide as necessary. Spaced through the inside on perhaps 2" centers would be insulating stand-offs.

The kicker would be that every 'bay' (horizontal or vertical channel defined by the stand-off array) would be tested and _listed_ to carry a certain number of conductors _without derating_. You would have a large grid, and could run wires as needed to get from the breaker panel to the appropriate conduit, and as long as you kept to fewer than X conductors per bay, you would be in the clear. So rather than being limited to 30 conductors across the entire cross section, you might be limited to 20 conductors per bay, but have space for 240 conductors in the 8 horizontal bays.

I have not worked out the physics of how many runs would actually be reasonable in a 'bay'.

-Jon

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard