ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 405 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
I think that it is very commendable that you feel that your knowledge is already at the level of a consultant. I am not the one to judge weather you have that knowledge or not. I do know that you will be hard pressed to find someone looking for a consultant in the residential and light commercial field.

Some of the questions that you will need the knowledge to answer would be for the proper bonding methods for a magnetic resonance imaging machine, the inside of the room and all equipment involved with the process.
Do you have knowledge of this?
If the answer is yes then you now have you a chance to do some advertising and tell us.

Mike
C
I see cronyism, kickbacks, potential ethics violations of all kinds....and at the very least not very "unbiased."

Precisely. As I said earlier this could easily get into direct conflict with the rules. Granted, unions don't have nearly the same power and influence in the South that they do here in the Northeast. But I can't imagine the rules are any different in other parts of the country. This may not be direct competition but it could be indirectly assisting the competition.

-Peter

Peter
E
As a licensed EC in your area, I'll chime in with my point of view. First I don't have any problems with non licensed, qualified, electricians doing limited side work like fixture installs and other minor work. I did it myself and I'm not going to tell you not to just because I now have a license. However, I really don't know what the market would be for a consultant like you are talking about. I've never had a customer hire a consultant to look over the work before hiring us to do the work, with the exception of a presale home inspection. Are you planning to get liability insurance? I hope so, because when you recommend something as an consultant, you accept some liability that your recommendation is correct. I'm not sure without being a licensed EC or EE if you can get real insurance. I would ask you the following questions:

What exactly is the service you will provide?
What are your qualifications?
Who do you expect to be your customers?
How are you going to find these customers? (marketing)

I'm not trying to be condescending, just curious as to your exact thinking and plans. I actually admire your entrepreneurial spirit.

Guys,
Let's not get onto the union thing again?!!.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

S
Trumpy -

What happened to the neat smiley face and banner that you had? (grin)

Steve

Thanks
Steve
Cat Servant
GA might be on track for something...but....

From what I see on the Nome Inspector web sites, there is a need for someone with real electrical knowledge to look things over.

Yet- and GA, you'll have to trust me on this- someone beginning their third year of apprenticeship often feels that they're "almost there," that it's just a matter of putting in time. Funny thing is, by the end of the fourth year, these same folks are in awe of what they have yet to learn!

I don't doubt that these guys are good- it's just that there's a lot more to the trade. At two years your exposure to both the range of the trade, as well as the many different types of construction, is quite limited.

A final problem is simply one of age. Folks tend to respect the opinion of an older person far more readily than that of someone who reminds them of their grandchildren.

G
Usually when a home inspector is referring a concern they are recomending someone who is licensed for a legal opinion.

Greg Fretwell
M
The insurance policy consultants carry is usual E&O "errors and omissions". To get this insurance, you submit what is essentially a resume outlining your work experience and the carrier decides if you're experienced, knowledgeble enough to insure. I think at this point in your life, you'd have a difficult time doing that.

I also don't see anybody selecting you out of a phone book to help them figure out which electrician to pick out of the phone book. Hiring you is as much a gamble (in the eyes of the consumer) as hiring an electrician so why not skip the middle man and just hire the electrician?

D
Ga, Your consulting avenue could be a great thing, and you could make alot of money at it.

However, if that is what you desire, I would dump the avenue you are taking now. Get away from the unions and get yourself in school to be an EE or something with a degree in Electrical Engineering.

I'll bet there are small and medium based EC in your area, who need help in taking on bigger jobs, but don't know how to do them, or who don't know where to turn for help. Some firms around here do just that. They will do all the calcs for you, spec out wiring, switchgears, ect, for a price. They don't call themselves consultants, they are engineering firms.

As stated above, the market for consultants may not be in the resi end of this industry. But the commercial and industrial end is where you should find more money.

All my opinion mind you....

Dnk........

J
I don't see how you can consult on a specific trade without a lic in that trade.
Do you honestly think you know everything there is to know about electrical work after a limited time in the field? I'm not trying to get down on you just offering my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard