ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Most of the guys that I know that made the move to the IBEW needed shovels and boots for the first couple years. They were nothing but gophers.

Love the carthart idea.....

Dnk..

L
The one tool I always have in my bag is a minimag flashlight. I've been using the one in my bag for about 10 years now. Carhartt coats and redwing boots top of line. Knee pads are a must! Make sure he knows why !
I didn't listen and 23 years later my knees are killing me !

Tesla , a few have mentioned knee pads , you mentioned "internal knee pads"
do you mean these... ? http://www.skillers.com/

Tom
M
Togol,
Do you have any of the clothing on that page you linked ??
If so, what is your opinion of it ??
I like the integral knee pads in the pants it seems like a good idea.
I am just wondering on how the pants hold up to the test of time.

mkoloj,........unfortunately I do not, I like the vest too
this is another place that sold a variation of those pants, and vest .
http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/85322.aspx

I have one of their fire-hose coats and it wears pretty good , they had a decent return policy

Tom
G
Since we have mentioned PPE, do him a favor and get some hearing protection as a stocking stuffer.

If you have ever spent much time working around metal framers you know what I mean but any noisy job site will come back to haunt you when you get older.

Greg Fretwell
D
Off the subject a little bit, I just applied for an apprentice position at a local electrical contractor. When he asked what type of tools do I have, I responded that most of my hand-tools are Craftsman, with the exception of a couple Greenlee thrown into it. He kinda made a funny face as a "to no exception will I accept Craftsman in here" and said "Klein are good, Klein are good". Does this really matter? I used to work at Sears, why a bunch of my stuff is Craftsman. Do screwdrivers really matter if they are the "good" brand vs. the "ok" brand? I mean, I am going to get the job done, regardless if I'm wearing Lee's or Armani's, right?

G
Nothing wrong with the old Craftsman screwdrivers.

Greg Fretwell
I have to side with Greg (gfretwell) here.
The most important thing that this young fella will need to look out for in his first year, is his own safety.
Get him a good pair of Cow-hide Gloves, decent Ear-protectors and a good pair of Safety Glasses (not them rubbish $0.50 Goggles)
When I first started my time as an Electrician, I was given a Nice pair of Tinted Safety Glasses for Xmas, I wear them all the time and I still have the same pair.
Good Quality costs nothing, especially when you could lose an eye and you can't buy another one of them.
We are all learning now that working without Ear Protection get's you nowhere, I have a father that has Tinnitus.
Let's try and break the cycle, eh?.
BTW, slorch, thanks for taking an interest in your nephews' future, I can tell you, it will be a rewarding one. [Linked Image]
Oh and by the way, the biggest gift to him, is the one that can't be bought, encouragement, support and help with nutting out equations, when the pieces don't seem to fit!.

{Message edited for spelling errors}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-06-2005).]

G
I buy tinted Crews safety glasses by the box on the net. My eye doctor gave tuhem a clean bill of health (optically) and they are UV-A, UV-B and IR rated.
They are my sunglasses and we wear sunglasses anytime we are outside in Fla. (UV causes cataracts) I keep them on a "croaky" around my neck all the time, if I am not near rotating machinery. If I even get a sniff of an eye hazard in my vicinity I slip them on.
They are cheap enough that I can toss them when they get a scratch or something.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard