ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grover Offline OP
Does anyone have experience with the Reliance TCA1003D transefer switch?

I've looked for details, and can't seem to find any. It it really a 100A/30A breaker in a box - mechanically interlocked? So in operation it becomes a "whole house feed", and the homeowner has to figure out what he can and cannot use.

Also, this means I've got to get the PoCo involved to install it (kill the feed), right?

Thanks for info!

D

L
Yes, this is merely a 4-space CH main-lug panel with two breakers mechanically interlocked. The generator feeds the 30-a breaker terminals, back-feed style, and the utility the 60-a breaker likewise. The main lugs feed the load.

This assembly must be rated "suitable for use as service equipment" unless you add a main breaker between it and the meter. In addition, this unit can not be used in this manner on a service greater than 60 amps.

This panel is more suited to feed a sub-panel that supplies loads desired to be generator-powered, and not an entire premises. Additionally, back-fed breakers are supposed to have a "hold-down" device installed.

I have made my own transfer panels by basically combining this panel and a sub-panel by using a pair of breakers this same way, but in a panel large enough to contain the two "main" breakers and the branch circuits.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 10-01-2005).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Grover Offline OP
Thanks Larry

It's what I suspected.....

Any experience with the company that makes an "add in" mechanical interlock for generator applications? I saw a website a while ago that was selling Reliance-like interlocks made for several different panels.

What I'm looking for is a real cost-effective solution to backfed panels I keep coming across out here in the woods of Maine......

R
Ron Offline
I have a reliance controls panel in my own home. TTV2003D Panel/Link.
It seems really well made and rugged.
You can purchase breaker interlocks if you have a Square D panel. http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Load%20Centers/Accessories,%20QO%20(LK,%20PK,%20QO,%20QON)/40273-809-02.pdf

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard