ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56804 09/30/05 11:01 PM
S
shooter Offline OP
As the saying goes, if you don't make mistakes you are't doing anything. and better to learn from your mistake's or someone else's mistakes! just for fun post your's or a story of others failed atempt's at doing it right! the first time.

... The other day,flex bitting(is that a word??) in the ceiling between floors,to add a couple of high hats in the customers kitchen,.. I penetrated through 2 joists and was going for my third,..when all of a sudden,the bit punched through,..ok,I say to myself,and move the ladder over to put my hand in the new H/H hole,and the bit was not there,..I drilled in a straight line,and where else could this bit be?? I got a sickening feeling as I realized where it probably was...I went upstairs,..and right through the brand new carpeted hallway floor was my bit,..it spiraled about 15" of looped carpet with it,along with a strip of padding...I was fit to be tied...I had to get the carpet guy back to seam or stitch the thing up,and wound up working for nothing that day,plus looking like a total yutz to the homeowner.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
Russ,
I've been there before mate!.
Not a nice feeling at all.
Except when I went through I took half the skirting board, blew out the sheet-rock and had a big ball of wool from the carpet on the end of the auger bit.
The lady was home at the time and she asked me what the noise was.
It took ages to explain that one.
Ahh the joys of Electrical work. [Linked Image]

A
There was a time when I sent a man to do an outlet installation in the home of a friend of the boss (no charge). His paddle bit went through a closet wall and engaged a mink coat. Pretty expensive free job!
Sam

J
Was installing a vanity light over the bathroom sink in an old apartment complex for a friend, the original fixture was a florescent fed without a box. I told the grunt that X marked the spot and cut me a 3 ½ inch hole for an old work box. Grunt comes out of the bathroom smelling like a port-a john and advised me that he had found the waste line for the units upstairs. I cut my own holes since this time in old work.

Mike
Had an interesting one the other day. Dish network guy shows up to do his install. Plotted hole (to reach basement?) about 2' up on the outside wall in the cluster where the phone and power enter the basement, and drilled a 1/2" hole.

Punched thru - the back of the dishwasher!

Dish co. bought new dishwasher, we did the install - cable guy took old one home "newer than his" - and is going to patch it....

[This message has been edited by grover (edited 10-01-2005).]

S
shooter Offline OP
the worst one for me was connecting up a photo processing machine at a local camera shop, brought my apprentice ,job was going well marked the conductors installed the seal tite Ijust happened to look what the other guy was doing, He had cut all the wires and holding the last one in his hand and he said this is the nuetral don't worry- Yes i should have check it out.
$100,000 dollar mistake I will never ever make again. I took full responsibility and called the PM he never told the Owner and I was called on the Carpet a week later, when he was blind sided with the phone call. No more Project Manager!

[This message has been edited by shooter (edited 10-01-2005).]

C
dear customers
all electrical motors are factory pre- charged with smoke.
If you see smoke coming out of your motor,the motoris no good anymore.
We cannot re-charge the motor with smoke.
you will have to install a new smoke pre-charged motor.
....there you go...

Cat Servant
There was the time I had to do a service change.
In one part of town there are multiple streets with very similar names. Main St, Mains St, Main Lane, Main Ct, Maine Blvd....you get the picture.

I had just finished setting up, when the homeowner came out and asked: who was I , and what was I doing? OOPS! wrong house.

I quickly tore down, and arrived at the correct address just as the boss arrived. We in turn set up, and were closing the cutters around the first wire, to cut the service...when the shooting started!
Yep, the house on the other side of the wood fence decided to have a shoot-out with the police!

You can be sure not much work was done that day. I never realised what a good rifle rest my utility body made!

C
I just bought my brand new hole hawg with a razor sharp spiral bit. I was drilling a hole through the floor to run a cable into the basement, and sure engough, drilled right over the EXACT spot where they ran 3 cables through the floor joist. I cut right through all 3. The worst part was is that one of them was for the basement lights. [Linked Image]

Peter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard