ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#56771 09/30/05 07:41 PM
T
Well, live and learn... and sometimes learn what NOT to do.. [Linked Image] On another note, gangbox clutter never really bugged me, so long as the tool/part is actually in the box... I accept that a moderate amount of entropy is just part of the trade and shrug my shoulders. Ironic too, because I am super anal with my private things and in my private life, but I have just learned to check that part of my personality at the door in a effort to get along.. what bugs me more are the "tool hoarders" who take off with all the tools to their little corner of the job.

#56772 10/01/05 07:14 AM
iwire ,
no I'm not suggesting that any one stay past quitting time, I'm not suicidal .... I want to go home too .

breaks and lunch on my jobs are VERY
comfortable and Fridays are E.Q.

I won't put up with a few things, and gang boxes from hell is on the list.

For those times when I am not running work , I expect the same treatment ....

I would rather take 1 minute to put the drill back in the box and keep my break ....

I don't think it unreasonable to shorten up a break or lunch to get my point across, and for the most part things are pretty casual

I will tell the guys what I don't like...
if it's getting out of control, and let them deal with the offender. if it continues, I tried to be reasonable...I didn't want to do it.

Just work thru the day and let's all go home..... that's all

Tom
#56773 10/01/05 07:22 AM
Iwire,
I worked for a shop that had a foreman who WAS locked in the box and tossed down 2 flights of stairs, ...after he got out of the hospital he retired to an remote spot way up Norf ...in da U.P.

..not all my stories have sad endings!!

hahahahaha

Tom
#56774 10/01/05 07:22 AM
I
I don't think it unreasonable to shorten up a break or lunch to get my point across, and for the most part things are pretty casual

That depends, do you mean shorten up lunch and break times that are usually run longer than required or do you mean shorting up the lunch to less than the required time.

Where I am we do not pay the employees for the 30 minute lunch and we have no right to tell them what to do during that time.

The minimum break times are mandated by law and we could get into serious problems with the labor board if we do not allow the required break time.

To each their own, I like a neat gang box but I will not kill moral by cutting into the employees time to maintain it.

I clean it myself or grab someone I see 'slacking' to do it. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#56775 10/01/05 07:29 AM
I
I see no problem with holding what is owed to the employees in exchange for what is owed to the job.

Whatever we feel does not matter.

The law is pretty strict on what you can and can not do to an employee.

If you have a bad employee withholding their benefits could land you in court, cost you plenty and be a windfall to the bad employee.

The thing to do is what LK said, written warnings than the door.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#56776 10/01/05 09:14 AM
iwire,
I thought I made it clear that my breaks and lunch ARE longer than required,
and on Fridays we all go home EARLY,
by at least 1/2 hour.
There are no statutes here for a " break " but lunch is by law only 30 minutes , and lets be honest, who would work on a job where there were no breaks ?..typically on my jobs "breaks " last about 1/2hr. and lunch can be 45 minutes or more.....that is a lot of XTRA time, don't you agree?
Is it wise to take something away ......... not always,
that depends on the situation ...... but everyone assumes they WILL get a break and a lunch, ......the rules, with minor variations( such as mine ) are the same throughout the jurisdiction. I don't want someone telling me what to do during my lunch either, but the way the laws are now if a hand comes back from lunch drunk are even slightly intoxicated , they could be terminated ! and that litle gem is in the agreement . Does it happen ? I've never seen it ,.. can it happen ? most definitely.

I have been a JW, Steward , Foreman , Gen Foreman for 34 years, and a lot of us bounce in and out of the same jobs , so why tick someone off that may be running the next job?

PS how do I change my profile???

[This message has been edited by togol (edited 10-01-2005).]

Tom
#56777 10/01/05 10:52 AM
..Oooops , I found the profile edit .

Tom
#56778 10/01/05 01:07 PM
T
I like your interests togol. Welding inside a container that's been out in the sun on a hot day is pretty sweet too.

Dave

#56779 10/01/05 01:55 PM
Yup ,it helps pass the time, hahahaha
I see you are nearby, Dave

Tom

[This message has been edited by togol (edited 10-01-2005).]

Tom
#56780 10/01/05 10:52 PM
S
If I could just add to this thread. I used to work for a company years ago where we'd do alot of travelling from job to job and were often told to "take lunch" while in the truck and in transit to the next job. What a joke. That used to really tick me off.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard