ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
ckeck Offline OP
DeWalt it is - thanks for all the input...

As far as hand tools go, I really do like Craftsman and Klein...especially Craftsman because of the design and their guarantee. Any thoughts on the standard hand tools?

Oh, scameron.
I want one of those cordless bandsaws :jealousy: [Linked Image]

Ckeck, I can just tell you that I have a mix of many different brands of hand tools. I think that the "brand loyalty" thing should give way decisions based on an individual case by case basis.
For Instance: Channellock makes great channellocks, Crescent's crescent wrenches are good, Vise Grip Vice Grips....well you get it.

C
ckeck Offline OP
electure,

Very true - that answers my question.

Gotta give a thumbs down on the DeWalt radio-

where's the CD player?
where do I plug in my mp3 player?

The battery charger on the thing is a good idea, but who doesn't integrate a battery charger these days? Of all the work radios I thing the bosch is the best (probably also the ugliest..) Too bad none of my cordless stuff is bosch. think when my drill dies I'll just bite my lip and get the milwaukee set. Their radios get second prize in my book.

... Cordless tools?? In my honest opinion,..De-Fault(is mine for buying this garbage),..I mean DeWon't(work anymore),..sorry,I meant to say DeWorst,..(oops I did it again) DeWalt,.was the crummiest 18 volt Hammer drill I ever owned..I had 2 of them,they commited suicide,I had them repaired by DeWarranty??("you must be joking,this isn't covered by de warranty")and got them back in WORSE condition than when I sent them out..They ran slower,and the clutch mechanism always stripped out..After buying 5 batteries,their reciprocating saw,and the flashlight,I finally chucked them all,and went with Milwaukee,..they may not be made in USA anymore(but can you genuinely tell me WHAT is?)they are a better tool,..and I now have the 18 volt set for my 2nd truck,and the V-28 set for my truck,..can't beat 'em..

... For corded tools, I have the Porter-Cable Tiger recipro-saw,a Milwaukee Hole Hawg,a Milwaukee Magnum 1/2"chuck hammer-drill,a Hitachi spline drive 1-1/8"rotary hammer,a dopey Craftsman "roto-zip" knock-off(which I never use)and my baby,..a 75th Anniversary Limited Edition Super Sawz-all,with the chrome gear case,and black metal case,.(its too pretty for work,so I keep it in the office [Linked Image] [Linked Image]..I also own a Delta mitre chop-saw,..a Porter-Cable 7-1/4" circular saw..I also have a Milwaukee SDS plus rotary hammer drill,I think that's it... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
... Oh, and for aural stimulation,I bought the Bosch "Power Box",..I can't use it to charge batteries,because I don't own any Bosch tools,but I bought it for the sound,..It is a CD player,and AM/FM radio,and the sound is outrageous!! It's a funky looking cube with tubular re-inforcements all around it.. pretty cool!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image from images.amazon.com]

I LOVE TOOLS!!!!
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 09-30-2005).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
C
Cow Offline
Trollog

The Milwaukee radio doesn't charge batteries. Also, the Dewalt has a port to plug in a CD player.

[This message has been edited by Cow (edited 09-30-2005).]

S
My first cordless was a skil 12 v top gun lasted 10yrs my now defunct dewalt system has 3 dead soldiers and numerous batterie's depleted and not chargable within a year on each battery. my apprentices are buying ryobie with good luck and good power for cheap.

I use a Metabo corded Drill, A Bosch Angle grinder a 12V Panasonic Cordless Drill
and all sorts of hand tools.
Apart from my screwdrivers, no two of my tools are the same brand. [Linked Image]

G
I know "more power" is the general rule but I have been very happy with my 9v Makita drill/driver. I can get it into smaller places and it is light enough that you can hold it over your head all day.
It is still powerful enough to break off screws.

Greg Fretwell
L
For corded tools, I have the Milwaukee right-angle drill with the removable two-speed angle head. I want to get the 30" angled extension for it. Plus, a Bosch SDS-max rotary hammer. This is the best tool in the world for drilling in masonry or concrete, and for driving ground rods, too.

I have a trio of DeWalt 24-volt tools: the hammer-drill, reciprocating saw, and circular saw. Thses tools are as powerful as their corded versions, and I also have the battery eliminator. See: http://www.dewalt.com/us/cordless/cordless_systems/24volt.asp

As for worn-out batteries, there is a store near me called Batteries Plus that will rebuild any battery pack for 3.50 per cell, if I remember correctly. Just divide your battery voltage by 1.2 to determine the cell count.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard