ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I think the reason given was that the hammer-head faces are hardened and the shock might fracture pieces off and go in your eye. Or, worse, the Foreman's tea-mug. [Linked Image]
Pedantic really, I only had one hammer.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
E
e57 Offline
Tripp, when I was green, I was in the military, and believe me, I don't treat people like that....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
L
The Best way to teach a new apprentice is to treat them like an adult. Give them responsibility and hold them accountable.I think the one thing to remember when training a new apprentice is to remember
back to when you were the new apprentice. What did you hate and what did you find helpful ? Yelling and screaming are not the way. Just explain what your doing and WHY . Preach safety every chance you can. Ask questions to see if they understand what you are telling them. I also encourage them to read about what we're doing in the code. Let them do something beside chase parts. Let them make mistakes ( small ones) then explain why it is not done that way. It's like teaching kids to walk, you have to let them fall down sometime. Remind them that you won't ask them to do anything you won't do ! I have trained quite a few apprentice's like this and it seems to work.

S
How or what would you do with a guy that has been mr green for two years and seems to not get it? my dillema is he shows up early he never complain's about the job! how long do I babysit this situation before I cut him loose? He really wants to be an electrician.

My training started out with this,a GOOD apprentice and a bad aprentice Santa Claus and the Easter bunny chasing a hundred dollar bill down the street! who's going to catch it? answer; the bad apprentice all other's are a figmant of your Imagination!

[This message has been edited by shooter (edited 09-30-2005).]

Ken, (luckyshadow)
Very good point mate!. [Linked Image]
If you want people to act like adults, treat them as such.
I remember being on a building site a couple of years back hooking up a Temp. supply and the Electrician and his Apprentice were there running the U/G Mains (Service) cable through a trench and in through the concrete foundations of the house.
Anyway, the Apprentice must have been pulling the cable incorrectly (if you can actually do that) but his Boss really hit the high note and started carrying on, ripped the cable out of the young fella's hands and proceeded to show him how it was done.
Trench was full of water from rain the night before.
The guy must have tripped on a stone in the bottom of the trench and fell in the water.
It was funny to watch from the top of a pole.
My point is, don't stand someone aside and show them "how it is done", you only learn by doing.
Being shouted and screamed at only turns me off, not sure about you. GRRR

L
Not every electrician should be the one to teach apprentices. I can proudly say I have taught apprentices that have gone on to be foremen and licensed master electricians. I would like to think I am partly responsible for their success. I always try to get the apprentice to start holding himself/herself to a higher level of professionalism. I do this by example. I will explain to them that I hold myself to the same higher level also. I do my installs per the NEC no cheating allowed ! I will not allow those on my jobs to cheat. If it's not right it comes out !
I feel I was quite lucky when I started in this trade 23 years ago. I went to work for a guy who was a stickler for details. No Cheating allowed. do it right the first time type of person. He would also stop what ever he was doing and answer questions or explain things to me. He showed me how to do things , explained why, then had me do them. The big thing is he was not a screamer! Always calm . He is still doing electrical work today and I am still in contact with him, I consider him a mentor and friend for life ! This is the approach I use to teach my apprentices.
Ken Horak
(luckyshadow)

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 10-01-2005).]

G
Shooter wrote:
How or what would you do with a guy that has been mr green for two years and seems to not get it? my dillema is he shows up early he never complain's about the job! how long do I babysit this situation before I cut him loose? He really wants to be an electrician.
This is the heartbreaker.

Best advice is, start from the top. What are the basics that he would need to get tattooed before he'll be able to remember them?

The best bet, from the word go, IMO, is honest feedback from the start. Then, once you progress further, you can calmly and honestly address the "not getting it", identify the problems, and coach him to tackle them one by one.

He may never be an all-star, but to quote Jules from Pulp Fiction: "Personality goes a long way." A work ethic and a desire to continue to grow, despite a lack of knack, will let him continue in the business. There's no shame in him achieving small success at low rank and staying put, if he derives satisfaction from the job he does. [Linked Image]

-George
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard