ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#56585 09/27/05 08:59 AM
Hi Steve,
Sq D still makes the "WIGGY"
it is their trademark for the old Wigginton (sp) tester.....FYI

Tom
#56586 09/27/05 09:10 PM
W
I love my Ideal Vol-con. It checks voltage and continuity. Only $37.95

Samuel A Mercure
#56587 09/29/05 05:12 AM
I
OK, which "wiggy" would you all recommend?

Any of the old type heavy solenoid type testers.

The Square D Wiggy, the Knopp or Ideal versions etc.

Personally I like the ones that do have continuity testers built in like wv-wire-wrangler suggested.

With the volt-con you can go up to a an outlet and quickly find out if it is live, dead or even connected back to a panel at all.

Use the continuity checker to test from ground to neutral, if there is no continuity you are not even tied into a panel.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#56588 09/29/05 11:00 AM
G
Regarding wiggies never lying...
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=732&parent=706
In preparation for installation of a new 120 volt electrical outlet in the 324 Building, circuit #6 of panel F was locked out. (See diagram below). An electrician performed a safe condition check with a portable voltage tester, commonly called a "Wiggy," and no voltage was found. The electricians started work and found two wires supplying the receptacle. An additional safe condition check with a Wiggy was performed to verify that no voltage was present. The cover was then removed from a junction box in that circuit, and a third safe condition check was performed with a Wiggy. No voltage was indicated. The electricians disconnected the receptacle from the existing wiring, removed the receptacle box from the wall, and installed the new receptacle. While making the final terminations, an electrician felt a "tingle" in his hand. Work was stopped, and another safe condition check was performed with a Wiggy. No voltage was indicated. Another check was performed with a high-impedance (Fluke) multimeter, and 111 volts were found in the outlet wires.

What say ye?

#56589 09/29/05 02:03 PM
I
I say two things

1) Was the wiggy checked on a known live circuit before being relied on.

All meters should be checked before and after on a known live circuit when verifying a circuit is dead to work on.

2)If the 111 volts could only be detected with a high impedance meter then it is unlikely there was enough current behind it to hurt anyone.

What was the outcome, was it phantom voltage or was it really live?

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#56590 09/29/05 02:32 PM
G
the link has the whole story. It was live. There was a jumper connecting that circuit to another circuit.

#56591 09/29/05 02:40 PM
C
Use the continuity checker to test from ground to neutral, if there is no continuity you are not even tied into a panel.

Or it could be telling you that one or the other is open, not necessarily both.

Peter

Peter
#56592 09/29/05 03:11 PM
I
Pete the gist of the neutral to ground test is that if it is open you have bigger issues than an open OCPD, relay, contactor, switch, etc. [Linked Image]

On a rare case it might even be that no one bonded the system.

By the way, no one says you have to use the EGC as the ground for this test. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#56593 09/30/05 12:34 AM
G
I have had lots of meters but I never liked a digital for trouble shooting. If you have a mechanical meter you may not get the precision answer you get with a digital but it is usually more accurate.
A digital can give you a reading, precise out to 3 decimal places and totally wrong.

You can tell a lot more, watching a needle move, than you can with the random number generator you have when a value is changing and you are watching a digital meter. Ever try to adjust a limit switch with a digital?

Greg Fretwell
#56594 09/30/05 12:09 PM
C
Pete the gist of the neutral to ground test is that if it is open you have bigger issues than an open OCPD, relay, contactor, switch, etc.

Of course. [Linked Image] I was just pointing out one of the many subtle issues of troubleshooting. As one of my former instructors once told me, "The devil is in the details."

Peter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard