ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#56423 09/27/05 12:17 AM
G
When I was in the computer biz I saw lots of "inside" work done over the years and I never saw a permit until it was IBM doing the work as a 3d party. When the building management did it, the work was always just "done".

US government offices never got permits, even if they leased the building.
I have some interesting "GSA" stories.

After 1995 <new laws> the State of florida got permits but they wrote their own and contracted the inspections (my job).
The law allows ANY state employee to do the work. When it is a big operation with a competent maintanence staff the people were usually good. Ken Collingsworth at Desoto Correctional ran the most professional jobs I ever saw, including those done by very good contractors. I think he "traded" around the system to get the best "locked up" electricians. Their EMT was a thing of beauty.
On the other hand we had park rangers who had a time life book and watched This Old House a lot. [Linked Image]
At that point I did become an instructor more than an inspector, (in spite of what they tell you). I didn't care. It paid the same and I wasn't that busy. My boss (the AHJ) told me to just make it safe. He didn't care how it happened.

Greg Fretwell
#56424 09/29/05 07:53 PM
J
As of August 12th, the following states have adopted the 2005 NEC, which includes the new aforementioned Article 409 for the first time.

North Dakota, Massachusetts, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

With the exception of Mass. and Ohio, hardly the largest population hubs nor the epicenter of the industrial world (appologies to Texas, but let's be realistic here). Most likely the reason you didn't get a lot of response was that it is not yet an issue that many people in the trade need to deal with yet. So in effect, that IS your response.

JRaef
#56425 09/29/05 08:22 PM
H
John,

Do you find that your own town is sometimes the worst to try and get inspections for? I know that we are not allowed to inspect the Feds' things, and the state has the DCA, but sometimes the municipal things get overlooked too. I also find that many industrial sites never get inspections either. I guess they feel that they are above the NEC.

Harold

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard