ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#56366 09/20/05 04:37 PM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
I have a residential and commercial license in AZ. But looking at moving to Iowa. Is there anyone from Iowa that knows the requirements for a elec contr lic there? I've been checking with the Labor Div in Iowa.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
R
Look here: http://www.experioronline.com/examsbystate.htm
and here http://www.experioronline.com/iaconstruction.htm
By comparison to other states(New Jersey, for example),it seems that Iowa does not have state licensing.
PA is licensed at the local level, and it is very lax.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 09-20-2005).]

B
we just have city code/licenese requirements, some are no problem, others go just short of body cavity search. i basicly got told in one town," if your not part of the union or are from my town, don't bother" most are very easy to work with.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
These look like Journeyman and Masters license for workers. Do you need these licenses to get the elec contractors license?
Thanks,

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
City Licences are all you need in larger citys. In my Case Mason City "Sponsored" me I had to prove 4 years experience as an Apprentice before I could take my Journeymans test. I also took 3 years of an apprentiship program at the local community college. Same deal for my masters, I had to fill out another application to the mason city electrical inspector to take that test. Experior test. They are out of Florida.
Now If I'm ever working in another city in Iowa that requires Licencing all i need to do is go down to the city hall and show them my licence. Pay the Dues usually $20 or $25 and then I'm good for that City for that year. ONLY the larger citys require this. Small towns and rural areas will let any idiot with a roll of romex do what whatever he wants. Occasionally the insurance companies will make people change things. Or the Bank somehow requires a certain service size before approving a loan for buying a house.

Justin

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End

Link Copied to Clipboard