ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anybody have any real elaborate Holiday Lighting near them? Some houses by me get real crazy with decorations and lights at this time of year. I often wonder what type of bills these people get, anybody know?

Maybe we could get some pictures posted here?

(I know of 1 person that pays between $300 and $350 per mo. just for Neon lighting inside his house that's on 24/7 !!)

Bill

Bill
P
I remember one or two news stories in recent years of people who have gone to town on the lights, but most houses are quite restrained here. I remember a lot of well-illuminated houses Christmas during my time in central Nebraska.

Broom Pusher and
There are three houses in a culdesac [pardon the spelling!] not too far from us, that go to major extremes each year!

I'll ask the owners if I can get some shots, then post in ECN for everyone.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Some of you may remember an absolutely terrible "Christmas Light" website with dangerous directions and pictures that rivalled any of Joe's or our violation photos. It got us so riled that Bill had to pull it from the BB. [Linked Image] (Early July).

I'm very pleased to report that the fellow responsible for this site has posted his previous "handiwork" with a big red "DON'T EVER DO THIS" on the picture. He further says that he is now going to use GFCI's, outdoor boxes with in-use covers, grounded, properly sized cords, etc., and tells all to consult Codes and follow them.
It could be a few of those flaming e-mails and BB posts he got woke him up.
They might have saved somebody's life.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-28-2001).]

My Step-Father's Cousin has this setup:

Click Here

Triples his electric bill at about $300 and gets more "elaborate" every year...

I haven't got close enough to view the connections, wire sizes and ampacities...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-03-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
M
Christmas time around here is a particularly ominous time of year for me (along with everything else I do, I'm a chauffer/engineer in the local Fire Department). During this time of year, we have some really nasty middle-of-the-night electrical fires caused by overloaded wall receptacles and extension cords. [Linked Image]
People leave the lights on all night long...

Mike (mamills)

Electure,

That's great news!

Here's a couple of Pictures from a House near Me. The photos don't really do it justice though, it can only catch some of the flashing lights.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
electure

What's the address for the "DON'T EVER DO THIS" pictures, etc.?
Thanks

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
http://users.rttinc.com/~sylvanlights/welcome.htm
In the technical section, Electrical.(Other mentions of cords, etc. in various parts of the site)
This guy really does have some beautiful displays. [Linked Image]

B
There is a home in ABQ, NM that has created quite a stir recently. Not because of the lights nor the power required, but because the foot and vehicle traffic irritates the neighbors and though he collects money for the homeless, the city was thinking about prosecuting him for illegally operating 'a business'. Check it out at: http://www.kobtv.com/archive/2001/november/27/bugg.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard