ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Moving an existing 200 amp all-in-one panel with an overhead drop on a home. Moving from the back of the house to the side. Can I add a meter box with a 200 amp main feeder breaker to the side of the house and feed it to the existing panel? (would then become a sub-panel). Is there a blank cover for the existing meter being it won't be there anymore? Where would I tap the feeder wire on the now sub-panel? to the lugs the power company uses? which would go through another 200 amp breaker in the panel. Guess I'd have to since there are no lugs in the panel. (Gotta be a better way)
Or I could turn the existing panel into a junction box and splice and feed all the circuits over to the side where a new all-in-one panel would be.
(We use all-in one panels in AZ with the meter built into the same box with the breakers mounted outdoors. I know they don't use them back east).

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
M
Build new service with 200A feedthrough panel, and subfeed old panel. if they are going to build on back of house ghange to indoor panel

Do it Right One Time
A
aldav53 Offline OP
So your saying move the overhead drop with the meter on the side of the house and feed it to the old main panel (new sub-panel now). What about tapping the lugs where the old meter was, which is built into the whole panel. (all-in-one). Need a blank cover where the meter was. Never have seen this done before, but that was my first idea too.

Cat Servant
First of all, and no disrespect intended, by the range of your questions I fear this task my be better performed by a licensed contractor who usually does this sort of thing.

There is a limit to the amount of 'rigging' you can do...before long, you're spending $100 to save $1- and it shows.

Relocating the service drop requires you comply with the local PoCo rules. They're usually pretty fussy as to where the drop will be. Either go to their office for a "cut sheet," or you might find it on the web.

Blank covers do exist, but are intended for temporary use. There is then the matter of the meter ring, and jumpering the meter socket. I really don't like the idea of either- especially since the blank covers usually set in the meter jaws- making a jumper impossible.

Assuming the PoCo approves your plan, the only real option is to replace everything. Using the old panel as a "junction box" has certainly been done before, but with the distance you wish to move the box, you might as well do some re-wiring inside the house.

S
Seems to me you're going to need to run a new riser cable from your new outside main disconnect to yur existing panel thats going to become a sub panel. I believe you're also going to have update all of your grounding and bonding, including running all them back the main disco.

N
With a "all in one" panel neutral is most likly permenently bonded to box and panel is labeled "Suitable only for use as service equipment", if that is the case how would one get around that with out voiding listing?

A
Here in Utah the power company requires that the meter be located within 10ft. of the front of the house. I've seen cases where the meter/main was not located within this 10ft. The power company required the installation of a pedistal mounted meter out front next to the transformer or J-box.
This fed the other existing meter/main. They had a cover that clipped into the spot where the meter was located and it provided the connection at the old meter location.
I believe the power company supplied this cover along with the meter. I have never done one so I'm not sure. I have seen several of them around though.
My brother had one on his previous residence. A bay window and gas meter made it so that he had no choice but to have the meter/main located 15ft. from the front. The power company would not connect his power until he added a pedistal meter out front next to the transformer.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 09-18-2005).]

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 09-18-2005).]

A
Check with the power company and your local inspector. Here the power company has a booklet on all of their requirements that must be met before they will connect power.
I'm going to a seminar next week where they are going to discuss their latest requirments.

E
e57 Offline
Norcal has a very good point, with the neutral bond in the existing (sounds like meter/main w/dist. combo) panel, it would make the idea of re-feeding it a NO-NO. As often the neutral is directly mounted to the can. If it saving a buck or two thats in mind, re-use the panel in the new location, or re-use the breakers in a panel of the same brand. And put a nema3 J-box at the old location, and feed your circuits from the new location. Or, start over with a new MM combo, and new sub inside or out.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
A
aldav53 Offline OP
renosteinke, I am a licenced contractor, but this is an odd situation I've not come across. I will check with the PoCo and the city to see what I can do.
I think changing the main panel to a junction box and splicing the circuits to the new all-in-one on the side of the house might be the only way to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard