ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Neutral and ground bonding take place at the main breaker so if only the meter is moved then the neutral and ground bonding would remain at old the location with the main breaker. You would also bond the neutral and ground at the meter. If you have the 2005 NEC Handbook there is an illistration showing this. Exhibit 250.8
There is also an illistration at the link below. Scroll down to Photo 250.4 General Requirements for Grounding and Bonding. http://mikeholt.com/freegraphics.php?id=2005

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 09-18-2005).]

A
aldav53,
If you are needing to relocate the meter so the power company can access it I think you could just move the meter only and leave the main in its existing location. This would allow the neutral and ground bonding to remain in its current location. You would need a blank installed at the old meter location. I have seen this done in my area and the blank snaps into the old meter location and provides a jumber across the meter connections. I think the power company supplied these blanks but I'm not sure.
I've never seen one on an overhead service but have seen them on underground services. The meter was placed in pedistal out by the road in front of the house. The service lateral was dug up near the j-box or transformer and the pedistal meter was installed in the service lateral. Neutral and Ground bonding remained at the old meter location. I would think this would also be possible with an overhead drop.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 09-18-2005).]

A
aldav53 Offline OP
After checking into it, looks like the best way to go is change the existing all-in-one panel to a junction box and move the existing box to the side. Will have to splice all the circuits , run about 40 ft of pipe to the new panel. Now to figure out the cost. What would some of you charge to do this?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
C
Cow Offline
I'm an apprentice and don't have much experience yet but wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the existing MM/Combo with a 200 amp subpanel and move the MM/Combo to the new location. Seems easier and cheaper to refeed the sub then splicing all the circuits in a J Box and running them through a single pipe back to the meter main. Derating will become a major factor with that many circuits.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
Cow, not really, still would have to buy a 200 amp load center for the back of the house and feed it with probably 3/0 (a bit costly). The huge all-in-one panel/meter on the side would be empty except for an expensive 200 amp feeder breaker.
You'd have the main 200 amp for the buss bar, then another 200 amp feeder breaker.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
cow, I good thought though..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard