ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 392 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Schedule 40 and 80 PVC would be IMO, the way to go in a horse barn. (80 where exposed).
You want to keep the wiring as up high and protected as possible. Also you might consider putting a switch in a remote location to turn the barn lights on. Also use lighting that will come on instantly without a warm up period.
Horses can get into lots of trouble, and it's no fun trying to go into a dark barn to try to save them.
If the lighting is suspended from ie: chain, and connected with a short section of LTNMFC, vibration and shock won't be transmitted to the lamps, and they will last longer.
I used to care for 100-200 horses (in Riverside County, CA [Linked Image]) My boots would usually last < 3 months, even with constant care. Now I get a year or so out of them.
Armored Cable without a jacket, like iwire says, would not last much longer than my old boots. It's really that corrosive of an environment.

G
Nice shot Bob!

I guess I have to learn a little more about barns. [Linked Image]

I'm surprised the AFC guy didn't pitch that when they were selling us on how great MC was last month at the IEAI meeting.
He did have some jacketed he was passing around.

Greg Fretwell
S
Thanks alot Everybody for your valued info, looks like plastic to me its going to be.

Cat Servant
Amazing....we have an application where you can use romex- but not rigid, IMC, or EMT!

S
Electure, have you ever seen rodent damage on romex or exposed wirning in the barns you were working with. Thats a concern here with the mice and rats.

I never had a problem with rodents chewing the wiring. They seemed to prefer chewing on the wood.

The rats I had problems with were more of the 2 legged variety.

C
i mean just to understand this topic
the preferred wiring method in a barn is pvc
conduit?So the whole thing has to be in pvc?
And what was it about the uf?
i know,i am slow

M
I,ve wired a bunch of horse barns, and plastic boxes will not hold up it's also a good ideal to keep every box and conduit out of reach from the horses

Do it Right One Time
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard