ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#56092 09/15/05 08:10 PM
D
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by distributor x (edited 05-03-2006).]

Cat Servant
Glad you posted your question at ECN, where we are all mature adults, not given to name calling and crass comments :-)

There is a LOT more to the trade that either the code, or knowing what the parts are.

You need to get a "feel" for wire pulls, so you will lay them out better the next time.
Bending pipe is an art, and not something you learn by reading a book.
Only time with a shovel will teach you a 24" ditch is twice as hard to dig as an 18" ditch.
You need to see how things were done, during different periods, so you can learn how to work with them.
You need to learn how to "think," so the next guy won't have to spend all day trying to figure out what you were doing.
Finally, you need to see how a job site operates....how the trades interact with each other...and why "customer" begins with "cuss."

After the second year, many apprentices figure they've learned all they need to know....now they just need to put in their time. At the end of the program, these same guys are amazed at how much more there is to learn.
In a sense, a "journeyman" card means you're ready to really start learning.

There are a lot of related trades....some even call themselves 'electricians.' Only in an apprenticeship program, with a rotation among different employers, are you systematically exposed to all the parts of the trade.

I
Well said Reno, all I was going to say was I am glad that is not the rule in my state.

After putting my time working in the field to get the opportunity to take the test to get my license I am sure I would not want someone doing a 'walk in'.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-15-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Reno:
Very eloquent. I would like to hand it out to my class next week.....IF it's OK with you.

Bob:
Yes, I have to second your motion.....been there, done that, paid my dues...

"My focus has always been sales, I have never given putting the tools on much thought before... what exactly is the difference between an apprentice, journeyman and an electrician??"

Not to indicate any sarcasim, or nastiness on my part....but????? you really want to take the test, and think you can pass....BUT you have no clue what the test title signifies??? Give me a break.

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 09-15-2005).]

John
R
Give it a try.

D
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by distributor x (edited 05-03-2006).]

Distributor X,
... I am NOT one to preach,but I will give you my advise which comes from YEARS in the field,as an apprentice,a journeyman,and finally a Master..Don't jump the gun,..put in your time,serve and learn under an experienced Master first,get a "feel" for the jobs at hand,and soak up knowledge like a sponge.You most likely have the advantage over most apprentices starting out because you know product..but thats not everything.
..As I learned a long time ago,..to become a good electrician is to be a good apprentice..If you still feel like you need to take the exam,..go for it,..then you'll find out(the hard way)it's not as easy as it seems... Good Luck,...
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
I
X You did not really think a bunch of guys in the trade would think your ready to get your license? [Linked Image]

If I was a business owner I would snap you right up, another license in the company is always a good thing, especially as you would be getting paid about what a 6 month apprentice would get, that is if you are able to physically keep up with the others.

Reno, after seeing John's comment about your post I re-read it.

John is right, you really hit the nail on the head, great post.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
I had background in machine and control panel wiring with completion of electronics classes when I decided to study for the exam. I studied approx. 200 hours with a few long phone calls to a friendly electrical engineer/inspector.

I was already in my own repair/remodeling business with three children. I couldn't consider the pay cut for apprenticeship. Anyway, I got a 93 on the test and got a line of credit at the local supplier. I asked to walk through the stock to see what was available. This was before the big hardware warehouses.

I was probably a couple years into the new business before I contracted an addition with conduit through wood frame. This is something an apprentice would learn in the first year. An apprentice taught me about the multipliers for bending offsets. I learned a lot from this forum and continue learning every day.

If you need some help, e-mail me anytime.

Dave

L
LK Offline
One of our local EC's hired a gent that worked in a supply house and had his lic., thought he would give him a chance, the first job he sent him on was rigid pipe installation, he spent 6 days trying to install the job, they had to send another crew to do the job over, then he sent him to trouble shoot at a packing plant, they sent him back and asked for him not to return, then finally they had him work with a helper, and the helper said he needed a lot of practice before he would work with him, finally the guy realized he had a lot to learn, but din't want to put in the time to do it,

I have seen many, with families start at the bottom and do very well, no excuse if you really want to have a good foundation, to build on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard