ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 533 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Dave I would have to say yours is an unusual circumstance, more power to you for making it work for you. [Linked Image]

Working for yourself is the only way I can see it working if you can not deal with the low pay to start out in the trade.

I guess a lot depends on what you want to be doing in this trade.

You generally do not get to play with the big toys or the coolest tools without some sort of in the field experience.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
I've been electrician for 15 years, and I feel like I hardly know **** after I read some of the info on here. The only formal school training I ever got was a 12 week course in Navy 'A' school. Now that I'm getting serious about my trade, I'm going back to school, and I am excited about doing it.

I once worked for a licensed electrician who was clueless about wiring an add-a-level/ addition, yet he had the license. The point of my post was to point out that just because you're smart enough to pass the test, doesn't necessarily automatically make you the better electrician.

Carry on...

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 09-16-2005).]

G
You have a point Shock. I can nail a test, even if I am barely familiar with the material, if I have the book.

I made a conscious decision not to take the EC test when I was burning through the inspector tests because I knew I wasn't qualified.
There is a big difference between knowing what a system should look like and actually installing it.

Greg Fretwell
A Paper on the wall or a card in your wallet doesn't mean everything. I've met Journeymen that passed the test who couldn't wire, or troubleshoot a keyless fixture. Then there are the guys who couldn't pass a test to save their life and they are the same guys who get the job done correctly and quickly. But For the most part Passing the test means you are on your way up. Don't get complacent once you get your licence.

Justin

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
IMO, anyone can pass a test.
Those that have the practical knowledge to be able to do the job, pass my test. [Linked Image]

D
DistributorX, go for it.......

Don't let the the negative replies, you read here change your mind. Not everyone has to "start at the bottom", just because so-and-so did, and he thinks it is the only way to do it. That's rediculous.

If you think you can pass it, take it. If you think you can make a go at it, go for it.

Just don't pass the test and think you know everything, as learning never ends unless you die.

Dnk.....

B
Distributor x,

I understand where you're coming from. As an apprentice, I've definitely considered loopholes to try and get my card as fast as possible. The conclusion I've come to though, is that to deprive myself of this valuable learning experience would be to cut my legs out from under me.

Everyone is allowed to make mistakes, but as an apprentice, it is undestoood that you are still learning. However, there are certain expectactions placed on licensed electricians. It is assumed they have gone through their apprenticeship and that there are many things they should already know. Certainly many of these things are skills and knowledge you won't pick up from passing the EC test.

I caution you that if you do decide to skip the apprenticeship, be prepared to have your first few months or even years as an EC, be very much a trial-by-fire. You will have to learn and adapt extremely quickly just to keep pace with folks who already have a minimum of four years experience under their belt. If you can do it, more power to you, but I would be very careful about under-estimating the ease of any trade, this one included.

Good luck to you either way.

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 09-25-2005).]

Cat Servant
I think some of the resistance we meet has come from a serious mis-understanding of some terms- and usually with "additions" made to the proper definitions!

"Trade school" is NOT a place for the inept, undiciplined, or those "not good enough" for college. Almost any tradesman worth his salt has put as much time, effort, money, and brainpower into his trade as anyone else- and, yes, I'm including doctors, lawyers, and engineers in this!

"Apprentice" is NOT a term used to describe children, serfs, or inferiors. It is a term describing the special relationship between someone who wants to learn, and someone who wishes to teach him, and the bureaucracy involved in documenting this training- so the guy finishes the course with more than just his hat in his hand.

"Journeyman" is someone who has had the training, the experience, and the documentation to show that they have attained a MINIMUM competence in the trade- and have at least had classroom exposure to all facets of it.

One can easily say that, once you've attained "journeyman" ststus.....then you're ready to begin really learning!

Now, taking the test is something everyone should be able to do. Pass or fail, you can't help but gain a appreciation of the training a journeyman has. Pass it, and that piece of paper is some kind of yardstick as to what you've learned.

But I advise against taking the test by those who feel they are somehow "better" than someone who is "only" an apprentice. Nor should the posession of a college degree be a reason to avoid the program.

Simply put, there are no short-cuts.

R
Renosteinke, makes a really good point. It was'nt until I bacame journyman that I really started to understand all the things I was taught in my four year apprentice class.

I now teach the first and second year apprentice program at a local trade college. I try to teach the apprentices not to feel overwhelmed by the material that I am exposing them to, but that with time in the trade it will start to make more sense to them.

Chris

D
Duh. Help me unerstand. I began as an apprentice in July of 1960. I still haven't been exposed to all aspects of the trade, but continue to learn.

Distributor x: If you get your journeyman's card and work for a customer or anyone else, please follow some of the advice here and make sure you do things properly. I would hate to hear of you or anybody getting injured or killed because of inexperience on the part of person doing the work.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard