ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Peter Offline OP
Folks,
I ran into a situation today which you may symphasize with. I was pulling wires through a L E Mason, Red Dot condulet and there is a sharp cornerinside the LB and it was scraping insulation from my wires. Two white wires ended up with bare copper showing. I don't know why tthe company buys this junk and why Thomas & Betts produces it. [They also have the obsolete straight slotted screws.]
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
~Peter

T
I'm sure your company is very proud of your workmanship and helping them see a profit.

Dave

S
Does your buyer in fact know that it's junk? Generally, all he knows is what the catalog says about it, and what the price quote is. I've never seen a catalog page that says, "This stuff is junk." If nobody tells him that it's no good, he'll just keep buying it, assuming that it's OK.

S/Powered,
I've never seen a catalog page that says, "This stuff is junk."
Can't say I have either, but I'm all for honesty when it comes to product descriptions.
[Linked Image]

F
yep, 300 foot pull of twin sets 3/0 copper, 8 wires total, pulled both directions from center point by hand through multiple bend, lb, trough, anything on the shelf. last 40' skinned 2 wires like mad. 4 rolls of 33+ later and some white tape to make them neutrals and we were done. NOT my idea

Regardless of the length of pull,
I'd recommend the prolific use of Lube.
Cable lube is a wholly under-stated thing, sure it will not help with sharp edges, but it will help with a long pull.
As an Electrician, I check all of the surfaces, (mainly bends) that I will be pulling through, for smoothness.
Anything that has a sharp or even coarse edge, gets the file treatment.
Having cables or wires blow out within a conduit, because of poor installation here is looked upon as very bad practice.
I expect it is the same in the US?.

T
tkb Offline
What size conduit?
What was the max size and nuumber of conductors marked on the LB?

I
What was the max size and number of conductors marked on the LB?

That is a real consideration.

A typical LB can not hold the same number of conductors as the raceway it is connect to.

A typical problem I run into is 225 amp feeders. We can run four 4/0 in 2" EMT but the 2" EMT LB is labeled as three - 4/0s max.

By the way TKB, how is BU I hear you have been a great help there and other places. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
tkb Offline
Bob,
I think BU is finished, but the S&S nights were tough.
I like being on my own, but sometimes I miss the big machine.
Like they say, They always come back. I'mmm baaack. [Linked Image]
Hope to help more in the future.

[This message has been edited by tkb (edited 09-08-2005).]

T
tkb Offline
A typical LB can not hold the same number of conductors as the raceway it is connect to.

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufactures and the NEC would get on the same page with this?
I think that all LB's should allow the same fill as the conduits that connect to them. If this means redesign of the LB's then so be it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard