ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Bob:

I think this is the thread you're looking for:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006259.html

Stupid should be painful.
I
That was it, thanks. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-17-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
310.11 Marking in the 2002 code says
(2) The proper type Letter or Letters for the type of wire or cable as specified elseware in this Code
(3) The manufacturers name, trademark, or other distinctive marking by which the organization responsible for the product can be readily identified.
(4) The AWG size or Circular Mil area
(5) Cable Assemblies where the Neutral conductor is smaller than the Ungrounded conductors shall be so marked

(B) Method of Marking
(1) Surface Marking The following conductors and cables shall be durably marked on the surface. The AWG size or circular mill area shall be repeated at intervals not exceeding 24" .......
(1) Single- and Multiconductor rubber- and thermoplastic- insulated wire and cable
(2) .......

I've pulled 500 mcm THHN off of reels in sub-zero temperatures and had had the outer jacket blow off the conductors, the entire length. I thought it was wrong and said something about it, But it still wound up getting installed. Don't crucify me for doing it because it ended up in an underground mine. but we try to do things down there just like we do things on any other job or better. On a seperate occasion i've seen all of the insulation blow off of wire pulling it off the reel during cold weather. It was impressive to see and hear! A loud bang and then Bare copper. Ended up calling the manufacturer and they said THHN/THWN is not supposed to be installed While the temperature is below 20 F

Justin

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
L
"Ended up calling the manufacturer and they said THHN/THWN is not supposed to be installed While the temperature is below 20 F"

And when you said, "Since we can't control the weather, what type of cable insulation are we supposed to install?", what was the reply?

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Allclear,
Don't crucify me for doing it because it ended up in an underground mine. but we try to do things down there just like we do things on any other job or better.
Justin,
Don't think for a second that you would be crucified here, for posting that.
My God, if that is what it takes, we'd all be leaving here!. [Linked Image]

I
Justin welcome to ECN.

I take it your reference to 310.11 was about losing the required marking if the outer plastic comes off? [Linked Image]

That got me to thinking about it so I went down to the basement and stripped some 12 AWG THHN of the plastic sheath.

One roll the labeling came of with the plastic, the other roll the labeling was on the inner layer and stayed in place.

I guess it depends on who makes the wire.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard