ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#55737 09/04/05 04:12 PM
B
BigJohn Offline OP
Seems like a lot of cords now days, even the "heavy duty" or "industrial" jobs are really just 14 or even 16 AWG inside SJTW insulation. Won't stand up to very much abuse and has one heck of a voltage drop at 100' lengths for things like D-handle drills.

I was playing with the idea of making a super-duty cord out of some SEOOW and W/P cord caps until I found a similar one at one of the big-box stores made out of SJEOW.

Is the only difference between junior-service and hard-service the voltage rating?

Is it worth my money to try and make a super-duty cord, or would the SJEOW stand up to use and abuse as well as anything else?

Thanks.

-John

#55738 09/04/05 06:50 PM
I
John we use 100' 12 AWG store bought cords and while they are not as tough as some of the rubber cords we could make they do have some advantages.

One thing is they are not as heavy when wrapping them up.

Another issue is the store bought cords are much more slippery which makes a huge difference when dragging them around corners.

100' of rubber 12/3 cord can be a real pain to untangle.

I do have a 100' of 10/4 heavy rubber cord that has a twist lock (L14-20P) on it that fits most generators on the other end it has two GFCIs one from each circuit and each of those feeds one duplex.

I find this handy to keep the generator far away and have two circuits with a total of 8 receptacles, I used 10 for voltage drop and because I had it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard