ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]

Click Here if chart is not visible...

If that doesn't work, copy and paste this URL into your address bar:
http://kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net/photos/Chart.jpg

If that doesn't work, go here .

A rough probability based upon hypothesis (read: BS) concerning the risk of fire for device failure. This could also be applied to splices. The chart shows a minimal (but not 0%) risk before the arcing takes place, rises to peak, then settles back down to a moderate risk.

What are your feelings on this?

Is this a reasonably accurate description?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-25-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
It seems incomplete to me.
Are they saying that once a device has failed the likelihood of fire increase to a certain point in time and then decreases if a fire hasn't already occurred?
Or are they saying that as a device ages, the risk of fire increases over time until a point at which, if a failure hasn't occurred yet, the likekihood of one occurring will decrease?

Sorry, I thought of this while troubleshooting a house the other day. I was trying to find a way to explain to a customer the risk probability of "leaving things the way they are and fixing them when they go bad" type of thinking... you know, the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Of course, what was I thinking... I don't want or need the work, couldn't find the problem, rigged the gas furnace so that it would work and told her to call another electrician. One of those "it'd be easier if you bulldoze it to the ground and start over" type jobs... Lot's of DIY work, falsely grounded receptacles, twist-n-tape splices, etc.

She asked if it was safe, which started me on the tangent...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard