ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#55401 08/31/05 08:57 AM
It is a real shame people didn't/couldn't get out when ordered/asked to leave, the TV still shows pictures of people on rooftops awaiting evacuation. I am still trying to fathom the scale of all this destruction & where people are going to go until they can return, where they will go if they don't return to where they were living or for some who juts can't go back. there was also talk on TV regarding another storm building off the West Africa coast, lets all hope that this disappears as this is the last thing the residents need. How much of the 'hurricane season' is left?

#55402 08/31/05 09:22 AM
D
You know, 36" of snow every couple years doesn't sound so bad now....

God help the children down there.....

Dnk.......

#55403 08/31/05 10:19 AM
G
Most of the NOLA people who didn't leave stayed because they had no way to leave. These are folks who don't have the money to live in a hotel and some didn't even have a car.

There may have been some TV looters but most of the people I saw had things they need to live. The store owners are going to write off all this stuff anyway.
I am not sure we should rebuild these places that don't meet the FEMA elevation code. You can't build anything in Florida that isn't 11' above sea level. That is a federal rule. This NOLA debacle may break the back of the federal flood insurance program.

Greg Fretwell
#55404 08/31/05 10:54 AM
L
gfret - I agree with you. Serious consideration should be given to banning the building or re-building in areas that will be devastated/obliterated during hurricanes such as this. As far as the looters, please don't make the excuse that the owners are going to write it off anyway! That's a poor excuse for criminal behavior in times of disaster. I hope the weight of the loot drags them under!

#55405 08/31/05 11:21 AM
D
Most of the people bought the food they needed to live with before the storm hit.

Evacuation orders were given to all before hand, and the government provided transportation and shelters for those who had to stay for whatever reason.

Why do they need TV's to live. I need things to live, but I don't loot it. I've been on bad times before. Why did the looter shoot the cop in the head?

Why do people loot after Sports championships, in cities? They need something to live?

Shoot them...end of story.....

Dnk.....

#55406 08/31/05 11:50 AM
P
Here in Britain we're noted for complaining about our notoriously fickle and changeable weather, even though extremes are rare and never anywhere near as severe as in America.

Seeing the devastation caused by this hurricane is a sobering reminder that we really have much to be thankful for with respect to our climate.

May God bless and protect all those affected.

#55407 08/31/05 12:57 PM
G
I certainly agree those who are taking TVs are simply stealing but it gets a little muddier when they are taking food, water and things they need to live. The guys who own those stores are not going to come in and open them up. To say they stocked up (or should have) is meaningless when their house is under water.
Again, there are not the rich people. They are typically folks who were on the economic edge before the storm.

This problem is not going away any time soopn. We still have thousands of people living in FEMA trailers in Punta Gorda from Charlie over a year ago.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 08-31-2005).]

Greg Fretwell
#55408 08/31/05 01:09 PM
D
I agree with you there.....

And I wish there was a way to single those out and help them, those who really need it.

But unfortunately, the rich guy who lost his vacation beach house, and the poor folks who lost everything they had, get grouped together as victims.

In no time, the Hurricane Aid funds will show up all over, and we will be reading about all the fraud that will be associated with it.

Just sad that so many will take advantage of this disaster.....

Dnk......

#55409 08/31/05 01:27 PM
M
This situation is so sad it is just distressing. I wonder if the rest of the world will now pitch in to help as we helped after the tidal wave in S. Asia. I bet you they won't. One thing I am thinking after watching how hard it is rescueing people off the top of rooftops, is all communities that have any flooding danger should start a program to equip the emergency personel with Jet Ski and Tow Rafts like our lifeguards here in Hawaii all use. With proper training these guy's are able to get to people in danger in water situations under any conditions you could imagine, and do so in rapid fashion.

#55410 08/31/05 01:39 PM
L
Well I don't like to be a grinch here but... Why the hell were they on the roof tops? They were told to evacuate, get out, run!! I saw interviews on Fox where some were saying "we're going to ride it out and not leave our home" I realize for the most part they are mostly uneducated people w/o resources, but come on, they understand english. DANGER, Big hurricane coming - get out.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard