ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#55277 08/23/05 09:11 PM
A
Landlord called me and said the meter was stolen. This is the third one this month.
The problem is that there is now an open socket...energized. Sometimes the socket is damaged requiring a replacement.
Utility Co. wants an inspection before remetering.
Frequently the system needs upgrade, GFIs, smokes etc. before I'll put my name on it.
Should the landlord call the police and report a theft ? Who has to pay for the meter ? Will insurance help if there is a theft report ?
Who should the owner call ? The police: The Utility Co.: An electrician:The insurance co.: The inspector. or all of them. ????
{If it was easy anyone could do it.}
Alan--Inspector
We haven't even considerd where the meter may be getting installed.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#55278 08/23/05 09:17 PM
S
Ahh, meters, who needs them?

Just put some #6 wire in there and you're good to go!

Seriously, I would file a police report because stealing an electrical meter is thievery.

#55279 08/23/05 09:35 PM
E
e57 Offline
Do you think there is some "collector" out there, or someone trading it out with thier own for a lower bill?

I would think all should be called. POCO for the meter, spark and inspector for repair, and cops for the lead on who the Insurance Co and POCO will hold responsable for the theft and damage.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#55280 08/23/05 09:42 PM
G
Hialeah Meter will sell you one for $17.

Greg Fretwell
#55281 08/23/05 10:45 PM
B
Do you think there is some "collector" out there, or someone trading it out with their own for a lower bill?
I used to do maintenance for a company that managed government housing complexes, this was a problem we often ran into: People would have their power shut off for non-paymnet. No lockable disco. so the POCO would yank the meter. The deadbeats would then remove the blank, go across the street and steal a meter off of someone elses house so they could restore power to their own.

We called both the police and the power company.

-John

#55282 08/23/05 11:14 PM
G
You must be in a low crime area. In most areas there are people either stealing power or meters ( so they can steal power ). In the bad area here the power company puts on the barrel locks ( at least I think that's what they are called). It works just like the ring to hold the meter in place but its lockable. I have to call the power company to get in the meter base and have them lock it when finished. The other suggestions are good but also see if the power company will provide locking rings. They are hard to get off and I don't think most people would want to use a saw on a live meter base. Thieves tend to be lazy and this may help. The power company uses them on every house in certain neighborhoods.

#55283 08/24/05 09:09 PM
I have not heard of any 'meter thives' around here, even in the large cities.

Our poco (PSE&G has been installing barrel locks for a long time. The "base" model secures the face of the meter pan to the can. Next model is the locking ring; then they have a big device that basically blocks the lower 1/3 of the meter pan; also good for CT cabinets.

I've seen a few desperate EC's use a hole saw to defeat the barrel lock, a few have 'fabricated' a pick type tool, and a few use th tries n' true 'pry-it-open' all purpose screwdriver and hammer. This is not done for energy theft, but on service changes when the meter tech don't show.

I once had an apt house super that would 'flip' his apt meter, under the assumption that it will run backwards when it was/is upside down; he got caught by an off schedule meter reader.

John

John
#55284 08/24/05 09:28 PM
Cat Servant
Around here, I often replace an old two-meter service (water heaters were once on a separate meter) with a single meter service. This has led to the occasional request from someone as to whether I ever had any "extra" meters.

In these instances, it has always turned out that they were planning a little DIY "trailer park" or "apartment house", without the bother of zoning, permits, etc.
I am always ready to tell them where they can buy a meter- only to find they've already been there, and don't like the prices.

#55285 08/24/05 11:00 PM
G
I was serious hialeah meter. $17 plus a few bucks for shipping. http://www.hialeahmeter.com/siphwame.html

Greg Fretwell
#55286 08/25/05 09:54 AM
P
I've never heard of meters disappearing here in England, but there are several factors which probably contribute:

1. A very large proportion of meters are located inside the house.

2. The meters employed here are hard-wired rather than plug-in.

3. In many (if not all?) areas the PoCo actually has a record of the serial number on the meter cross referenced to the address.

It is easy to pick up reconditioned meters fairly cheaply though (equiv. of about $30). They are often needed in places such as student accommodations, holiday trailer parks, etc, to be able to bill each person separately on a private basis.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-25-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard