ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I'm sure I saw an electrician on an American tv show several years ago, bend two metal tabs into a hole in the the sheetrock to fix a receptacle?
Alan

Wood work but can't!
G
Alan are you talking about a "Madison bar". It is a flat metal strip, used in pairs yto hold a box in a hole on old work.
The long part sits behind the hole against the back of the wall and the 2 tabs bend over the box edge to hold it.

Greg Fretwell
T
Often the 4X4 box is a "bracket box" with mounting onto the side of the wood 2X4 (most construction here is wood-framed with drywall). That leaves one side of the box firmly mounted, but sometimes the other side moves or hinges. The tabs were probably "steamboats" which can help firm the loose side to the wall. Usually though, the steamboats are used for "rework" boxes whose only support is the drywall. The top and bottom tabs of the rework box keep it from pushing into the wall, and a steamboat on the two sides keep the box from pulling out of the wall.

Now you're probably REALLY confused. Pictures anyone?

Dave

Dave

C
CRW Offline
Like Bob said, we have 4 options, installing them whichever direction we want. Of course, most are vertical since the single gang nail-on box is vertical, but for some reason most of the receptacles in the Chicagoland area are installed horizontally. When I worked there, they were all that way, except if they were ganged together whith a switch, or another receptacle. And most of them are in 4-square, or 1900 boxes, with mud rings.

We have a lot more than 4 options.

We've got all 360° of options.

S
In Mexico we have this device made by Grupo IUSA:
[Linked Image from iusamex.com]

It's a horizontal version of an American-style "decorator" receptacle.

Mexican wiring uses the same type wall boxes and devices as USA/Canada.

Unfortunately a lot of the stuff made down in Mexico by Mexican companies doesn't see the light of day here in the USA market. Some of it is pretty innovative.

Only Mexican stuff I see sold here is Leviton and Cooper (USA brands that are manufactured down there).

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-21-2005).]

P
Oh and by the way,
I don't wan't any Ground up or down comments.

How about hot up/down for the horizontal mounting?

Ducks for cover..... [Linked Image]

ROFL.... [Linked Image]

Incoming!!!

Stupid should be painful.
D
OK, let's give our overseas friend a break here; I don't think the 4-square is used outside the US.

It is used in Canada as well.

T
How about twistlocks.. you can get dizzy going around in circles..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard