ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#55034 08/14/05 05:48 PM
I
The construction of a mobile home is not covered by the NEC. Think of it like an appliance no different than a washer or dryer.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#55035 08/14/05 10:34 PM
F
growler, There is no state-wide licensing of electricians in Indiana. Local licensing requirements to be a licensed electrical contractor are that an applicant has passed the Block or Experior Master exam. Some are grandfathered in and are licensed for residential work only without proof of passing the master's exam. The EC who did the work in my 2 examples passed the Experior 2 years ago(after 5 attempts)and was issued a local EC license. My point is, a license is no guarantee the holder has any integrity or work ethic. Another master EC last week told an elderly lady she needed a whole new panel installed for $1800.00 because she needed a new 2 pole 30A CB for her A/C and "you can't buy Square D QO anymore". Maybe they need to require a polygraph test to renew a license every year.

#55036 08/14/05 11:04 PM
Cat Servant
I think that, maybe, Sberry has hit upon one of the things that makes ECN so special.

It is always, (as George Bernard Shaw observed) much easier to be critical than correct. I only regret that he hasn't been here long enought (yet) to see that the vast majority of threads are intellegent discussions, where all of us learn from each other.

Now, no matter where you live,your commercial success is determined by your competence more than any other factor. If your skill level is about the same as "Mr Fix-it," he's your competition. If, on the other hand, you can do something he cannot- who cares what he charges?

Now I am perfectly content to let someone else change lightbulbs and apinted-over switches. Sometimes they get ambitious and try their hand at other stuff....and make a mess of it...or run out of tricks...and I get called.
Now I look at this as an audition. Funny thing is, simple courtesy to the guilty party will often result in him initiating future work for you. He'll say,,,"Boss, we really ought to call John and ask him."

That said, I make clear in my response to the "One Bad Apple" thread that some folks plying the trade ought to be working elsewhere....like behind bars! Fortunately, they are (IMO) quite rare; you can't get away with shoddy work for long- not only do inspectors set their sights on you, but electricity is a malicious thing, delighting in every opportunity to misbehave.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard