ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#54961 08/12/05 11:08 AM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Wondering if anyone here has had an opportunity to try out this latest "ooh-ahhh-pretty" wiring device.

Legrand/P&S has come out with this receptacle where you pigtail a prewired plastic plug into the wallbox.

After everything is done, you just plug this connector into the back of the mating socket.

Somehow I keep thinking this method is just adding one more point where connections can loosen or rust and overheat.

The website does better justice at explaining it.
http://www.passandseymour.com/whatsnew/plugtail.html

#54962 08/12/05 11:58 AM
L
Though I have not used them, it looks like a great product. At my 1st opportunity I'll try them. My 1st question is of course - cost?

#54963 08/12/05 12:24 PM
S
It looks to me like one more thing that can fail. Connectors are always the weak point in electrical systems.

#54964 08/12/05 12:41 PM
I
I agree with Lear these would be the best thing since sliced bread if the cost is right.

That is assuming the connector is of quality construction.

Many commercial buildings already use plug together wiring systems, that work well as the connectors are of good quality.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#54965 08/12/05 01:07 PM
R
It seems like a pretty good idea.

That is if the cost of the recept and plug offset what extra time you would be paying for using the normal method.

I would like to see what these look like after a couple of years of use and abuse especially how the plug stands up to heat. Or at least what tests they had to go through to get them approved by UL or whoever else puts their stamp on them.

#54966 08/12/05 01:25 PM
C
I also like the idea, again with the provision the connector is of good quality with 'tight' connections. I also really like the concept of the circuit identifier label under the outlet plate, and the 'preattached poly bag' to prevent mud/paint/grit/dust etc entering the connector. This seems a well thought out product. Now the interesting thing would be to hook one to a low voltage AC supply and feed 25 amps through it (5A greater than the breaker rating it would be connected to) for 2 weeks continuously in an enclosed space. And see what it looks like after that [Linked Image]

If it survives, quality product.

#54967 08/12/05 02:01 PM
T
I wouldn't want to post any disparaging remarks about rockers here, although I'm very tempted. I'd be reluctant to install anything like this at rough, though it looks great on paper.

Love and Peace
Dave

#54968 08/12/05 02:20 PM
G
This has been around for quite a while. The fact that you haven't seen them being used may speak volumes. This is a special interest item that I doubt the accountants can justify as a cost saver. The classic product in search of a market.
Perhaps someone would spec this if they thought it would help the maintenance man in the future but I don't see bad receptacles as being that big a maintenance problem. Reliability wise your money is better spent in simply using a quality device with screwed in connections.

Greg Fretwell
#54969 08/12/05 04:42 PM
J
I'd be happier with beryllium-copper contacts in the plug. Brass just isn't very springy, especially at higher temperatures.

One question comes to mind: Is the "plugtail" part of the device? Here's why I'm asking.

If I install a receptacle on a multiwire circuit, NEC requires me to loop or pigtail the neutral. With this device, I assume I'd wirenut the white plugtail lead with the two neutral wires. But if the plugtail is part of the device, then that's a violation.

Even if it's not part of the device, if the receptacle is replaced later with a conventional one, disconnecting the plugtail opens the neutral temporarily, which violates the intent of the NEC.

This would definitely be a timesaver when installing a second receptacle alongside a GFCI, though.

#54970 08/12/05 04:54 PM
G
If the "plug-tail" is installed as part of the required switched light in a room, does the rest of the device need to be installed prior to the final by a licensed professional or can it be installed by a homeowner?

I like them, but I expect they are too expensive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard