ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
I have wired these types of setups and they can be tricky enough without the fact that the people that spec them have no clue what they need to spec. [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
I love it "when trades collide."

I also can guess where the confusion originated....MC and romex count the wires differently.

Of course, when you were given your instructions, you were not given any info as to the needs of the shade- you were expected to just "know" somehow!

If you're very lucky, the first romex was "fished" into place, and pulling a new one won't invlve tearing up the wall.

J
Joey D Offline OP
No info at all. I was told the shades only needed power and a 12-2 would be fine. The problem is I was not doing any of the controlls for them. I looked at the controlls and could have seen it there that the shade needed 4 conductors, ground, neutral , power up and power down.
There is no neat way about replacing the wires as the insane amounts of holes I had to make while snaking them in can not be made again. The problem all this brings is and I can see it coming, money. The homeowner is going to go nuts due to the delays and trades just not keeping to schedule. I am working for the low voltage guy who happens to be the shade installer and audio visual guy all in one. They are surely going to hold off in paying the contractor who then is going to hold off in paying, guess who, ME. I love it and it only gets better.

E
e57 Offline
Wow, you make it all sound sooo familiar... [Linked Image]

You could go the other way in the future and beat people over the head with a stick for complete spec, cut-sheets, and install instructions. You would then only piss people off, (like I have) and as there was no resulting problem, they would never know why you were so aggressive about it.

On the other hand, if it makes money, work it...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard