ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Joey D Offline OP
It's way past my bed time so maybe thats why I don't see this in the book.
I have a 2 family house and i ran my ground to the meter socket, 2 gang and did not jump the panels together with an additional bonding conductor. I never go to the meter socket and just jump the panels together but this time I did it differently and the inspector picked up on it.

P
What's the setup? Main breakers in the meter trim and 4 wires to each panel, or meter trims only and 3 wires directly into the 2 panels via the shortest route? My ground rods always go to the meter trims on residential services, and the cold water to the panel, which is usually a main breaker panel. What was the inspector's specific objection?

J
Joey D Offline OP
It's a resi 3 gang meter socket with just SEU into the 3 panels. I went from the meter to the 1st rod then to the water and the second rod, #4 copper.
His response was the panels are next to each other so they need to be bonded together. I would think they were bonded together thru the bar in the meter socket.

J
Joey D Offline OP
408.40 is what he showed me.

E
Joey, 404.28 does not have anything to do with the grounding electrode connection to the service. That is the requirement for grounding the cabinet itself and the connection of the equipment grounds that terminate within that panel. You need to look at 250.24 specifically A 1 That says The grounding electrode conductor "connection can be made at any accesible point from the load end of the service drop or lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means."
This to me says the gec can terminate at any place on the line side of the service you wish.
Mike Holts book seems to confirm what I say here. He says the connection can be made at the service drop, the meter, or the disconnecting means.
Like you I'd like to see some other thoughts on this. Either way I think your inspector is barking up the wrong tree citing 404.40.

Feel free to name the town.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 07-30-2005).]

J
Joey D Offline OP
Is there anything listed as far as grounding panel boards or cans that are mounted next to each other? I will be seeing him tommorow afternoon and will talk it over with him.

[This message has been edited by Joey D (edited 08-01-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard