ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54387 07/27/05 09:13 PM
X
xGROMx Offline OP
I have a question about a gernerator install. If any one has installed the small generac systems will understand what i am asking. The system comes complete with transfer ready to wire up to your existing panal. What comes with the system, from the generator to the transfer, is follows. Generator (50A) - THHN in metalic shething + 4 16 gage lowvoltage 12v DC control wires - Terminal block (looks like a 60A disconect)that has a connector for the low voltage - same cable to the transfer switch.

My question is is this legal? Haveing the control wires in the same pipe?
Also i have been takeing the provided terminal box and removeing it placeing a 60A disconect in it's place....be for this there is no way to disconect the generator with out opening the generator.

Tell me if this is right or wrong, to me somthing looks fishy.

Anthony
OBX, NC

#54388 07/27/05 09:36 PM
E
e57 Offline
Control wiring in that tranfer are probhably part of listed assembely, if so... Legal. And many of them also control other functions other than transfer.

Is this disco that you replacing it with, is it rated as transfer/service equipment?

Need more info for that one...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#54389 07/27/05 10:56 PM
S
I have installed many of these units. I never gave it a thought that when the lid is closed yo can't see the Disc on the gen. I beleive this is a good question. Although I install a Sub Pnl with a Main just because there is no way of shutting power when in (Gen running)Stand-by. I remove all the breakers supplied and the feeder to the Xfer/Sub Panel.

Rob

#54390 07/27/05 11:50 PM
A
The terminal block box (looks like an A/C disco) is more for servicing the unit. You can check amps, volts, htz, etc next to the unit with out removing covers. Also if need be it is a conection point if the unit needs to be replaced. They are designed maybe too much do-it yourself friendly. We end up cutting down the pre made greenfield wip or just piping it.

I noticed with their 15 KW units the factory forgot the plastic bushings on the fittings where #4 wires goes thru. But it's a listed assembly I guess.

As far as the disco it's on the unit under the hood (the circuit breaker). Also is the switch to turn off the auto start mode. The hood can be locked but so can a disco if used.

If you installed a disco next to the gen turning it off would:

-unhook the gen from the panel
-cause the gen to start & run

Is that what you want to happen?

Tom

#54391 07/28/05 08:32 PM
E
xGROMx,
I thought the same thing when I installed my first one. I personally don't like the model you've got. I prefer to install a standard 15KW unit with a NEMA 3 100 amp transfer switch. It means we have to run our own control wires and provide a sub panel, but the installation is cleaner. the preassembled model is very limiting (like your main panel has to be less than 30 feet from the generator. If you have any questions, email me. We are a dealer for Generac. I might be able to save you some money on future unit also.

#54392 07/29/05 12:06 AM
S
Two of the four number 16s have 240 Volts across them. The generator goes into the crank & run mode with this 240 is removed (power failure). The 240 Volts is also used to power the generator's battery charger.

The other two number 16s have 12 Volts DC across them when the Generator comands the transfer switch to go into the generator mode (non utility).
I have seen some people (mostly home owners) use 18-4 thermostat wiring (very bad move) when the factory supplied wiring is to short.
Hope you find this info help full.

#54393 08/07/05 10:57 PM
X
xGROMx Offline OP
Thanx All, I guess there is a different way of doing everything. But with the disconnect i am useind the new Square D 60A disconnect with the breaker style switch.

Active 1: Turning off the disconnect dosn't turn on the generator, you don't disconnect the controlls, but if you did yes it would start if its still on auto. I want to install a disconnect point other than inside of the generator so if there is a problem. If some one that hasn't ever see the generator would most likely recognise the disconnect first, aka fire department, i know, i'm one of them. I also noticed the lack of bushings on everything, mainly the 1 1/4" wip.

e57: I'm not sure if it is rated for controls, i've never looked. Its a Scare D Non-Matalic Switch Disconnect, one of the new styles. I would think the original box would be ok, the system is UL Listed, but i am changeing things.....
Electric Eagle: What is your email? I might need to ask you some questions, and to see what items you use to do the out side transfer.

xgromx@mindbreaking.com

Here is a link for referance. http://www.guardiangenerators.com/products/guardian7_15kw.asp

#54394 08/09/05 10:25 PM
E
xgromx,
My email is ElectricEagle1@netscape.net

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll be glad to help if I can.

Link Copied to Clipboard