ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54127 07/18/05 06:42 PM
S
all right got an interview for the post of maintenance electrican what should I be expected to know. I am a licensed contractor for electrical but haven't done much indy so what would they expect me to know thanks guys

#54128 07/18/05 07:43 PM
B
What type of facility?

#54129 07/18/05 08:17 PM
T
PLC experience is valuable, always work safely in an industrial environment if that's where you will be-a lot of the guys who switch from installations to maintenance come in with a need for training on proper use of PPE(personal protective equipment). Pay attention to how they administer their safety program, this will tell you something about the value that they put on the employee. SCR drives are standard on almost any piece of manufacturing as are PLC's. Plant lighting systems and energy management systems are important to understand. The ability to effectively communicate with the internal customer is extremely important, if you jerk their chain to often your life as a maintenance guy can be miserable, there is a difference between who runs the plant and who fixes it-get to know the pecking order. Overcurrent protection knowledge is important, many machines have had just any fuse replaced over the years because it fit rather than replacing with the right one for the application. It can be a very interesting job with the right employeer. Good luck.

#54130 07/18/05 08:21 PM
E
Well, for starters...
Preventive maintenance, safety, NEC.
Troubleshooting motor controls, programming PLC's and VFD's.
Be willing to kiss your home life goodby for the sake of every 'crises' that comes along. Demonstrate that you are always spending your free time learning new things about your electrical trade.
Demonstrate a history of getting along with all types of people, and not losing your cool when stressed out.
Demonstrate that you are quite willing to be one of the grunts, not some know-it-all that is too good to do the menial tasks, and that you really like the long term diversity that you get to experience from maintenance work. Somehow get the point across that you are planning to stay around a while.

#54131 07/19/05 05:55 PM
S
thanks guys I know I am a pretty damn good sparky but I was just worried that I wouldn't have a real clue on the indy side but now I know or atleast hope that as long as i work my ass off and learn the pecking order and learn learb I should be able to keep the spot thanks

ps know any good sites about plc a few years ago I was learning how to write logic but that was a way back

thanks again

#54132 07/19/05 06:37 PM
F
These have helped me
(pulled them out of my bookmarks)
http://www.plcs.net/
http://www.plctechnician.com/

Hope they help..

Paul

Link Copied to Clipboard